• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Recall: 2009 K1300 GT and S

mika

Still Wondering
Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
BMW / K1300 GT 2009
BMW / K1300 S 2009
Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC Mfr's Report Date: SEP 29, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V384000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:IGNITION:SWITCH

Potential Number of Units Affected:

Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009 MOTORCYCLES. THE SWITCHES ON THE HANDLEBARS FOR BOTH THE DIRECTION INDICATOR AND THE EMERGENCY ENGINE OFF/ENGINE-START FUNCTIONS MAY FAIL.

Consequence:
IN SUCH A CASE, THE DIRECTIONAL INDICATOR AND/OR THE EMERGENCY ENGINE-OFF/START FUNCTIONS WOULD BE RENDERED INOPERATIVE. IN SOME CASES, ENGINE STALLING COULD ALSO RESULT INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND REPLACE THE NECESSARY COMPONENTS FREE OF CHARGE. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-831-1117.

Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009 MOTORCYCLES. THE SWITCHES ON THE HANDLEBARS FOR BOTH THE DIRECTION INDICATOR AND THE EMERGENCY ENGINE OFF/ENGINE-START FUNCTIONS MAY FAIL.

Too bad the switches will not be replace with the left and right separate switches which have been dependable for decades. :bikes

Wow - they broke down and did a recall

It's too bad but way over due, wonder what is going to happen with the stall issue :lurk

Just did my 600 mile service yesterday and described symptoms that did not totally match what I have read regarding the stall issue, but they related that it was this issue. Nothing more than the BMW fuel additive at this point as the 'fix'. So far mine has only dropped revs and had the engine light come on as I coasted to a stop. The only reason I noticed it was the red light in the corner of my eye and the fact that with the clutch lever pulled in and the throttle fully closed, the engine blipped on its own and the light went off. All in the matter of a second or so. Happened at the end of an offramp and then at the very next stop sign about 100 yds away. Never before, nothing in the 300 miles since.
The service department did install the retrofit anti-foam thingy for the brake fluid. This is a service bulletin to address potential foaming of the brake fluid.

Yeah that is pretty typical of how it stalls, at least mine.

What i have noticed that works is that as I approach a stop or a situation that i will stop i will first pull in the clutch a second or so before i shut off the throttle and that works about 95% of the time.

for the times that i "miss" it's a quick stab of the starter button and she fires right up. I have it pretty well correographed!

Regarding the fix they are also doing a throttle body cleaning on top of the fuel additive - I can live with mine as I have a work around that works for me.

Once there is somethign more substantial I will bring it in - I have already have my dealer record my stalling.

Another day in paradise! :bottle

Back