• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100/7 Preventive Maintanence

M

MOTOBOBP

What parts may fail?

I'm getting ready to take a 5000 mile tour with the wife on our 1977 R100/7. She won't appreciate being standed in North Dakota.

I'm wondering about the Dyna III ignition, alternator, coils, rectifier, etc. The bike has 60,000 miles on it. All the obvious maintenance has been done, splines lubed, valves adjusted, drive train gone over, steering head checked and lubed, etc. Dyna III has been on the bike for about 30,000 miles. Everything else is original. Bike is currently running fine.

Thoughts?

Thanks a lot guys!

Take the easy stuff.....clutch cable, tubes and equipment to change them, full toolkit, etc. I wouldn't worry about the electronic ignition at all.

prevention

I always carry a spare clutch cable everywhere I go. The only other thing that I would suggest would be a diode board.

I carry a full set of cables (including front brake) on my R100/7 as well as the original points plate, points and capacitor, I've never had a failure of the Dyna III on mine, (40k and counting) but being a black box affair it's non-repairable, so I keep the old stuff with me just in case.
Change out all gear and drive oil if you haven't done so in the last year, look for exssesive iron fillings etc.
I travel everywhere on my '78 with total confidence (70k and going).

RM

If you're "getting ready" to go on a tour, and it's a month or more away, just change the carbs and clutch cables now. It's cheap insurance. If you ride it for a month, and there are no obvious problems, you'll be ready for years to come.
My Dyna III has never failed. Replaced once...but only because of a faulty diagnosis...it was a coil that had been a fault. That's about 130K miles of no-problamo usage.
Get a tube repair kit. Learn how to use it if you don't already. Carry a spare tube, cel phone, Anonymous Book, and a credit card. Have fun.
Mac

Best thing to bring along on an extended trip is the right attitude and riding gear. If you are reasonably warm, dry and calm you can solve a whole heck of a lot of problems than if you are cold, wet and in despair. I have limped home on one cylinder but have always made it on my '82 R100. My advice is a nice set of tire irons and a spare rear tube. For some reason nails and screws left behind by thoughtful craftmen tend to go for the rear tire.

Have a great time.

Capt Curmudgeon
(currently sitting in a motel in Grand Forks, ND).

Capt Curmudgeon said:
For some reason nails and screws left behind by thoughtful craftmen tend to go for the rear tire.

Have a great time.

Capt Curmudgeon
(currently sitting in a motel in Grand Forks, ND).

From what I've read that's because when the front tire rolls over a nail it can catch the head in such a manner that it "stands it up" just in time for the pointed part to puncture the rear tire. I've also read that a mud flap on the front tire can help prevent this from happening, but can't say if that true or just an old riders tale.

RM

R100/7 spares (more)

Spare float bowl gasket, piano wire probe for trash in main jet, tail light blub, blinker light blub, several 10mm nuts for valve covers, J B weld, original points and point plate kit, small test light, one spare plug, one spare plug wire, ect. Best,

Back