• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Boyer Bransden micro digital ignition for R100S

R100SuperS

Who sells the Boyer Bransden digital ignition for airheads? Does Boyer Bransden have a company website? Thx. R100SuperS

Although not asked, I will give an endorsement for the Boyer micro-digitial electronic ignition unit from Stan Smith at Rocky Point.

I've placed the Boyer thus far on an 75R60/6, 77RS, 64 Triumph T120R, and have already bought one for my 71 R75/5 project bike. Easy to install and they work very well.

Hi, I installed a Boyer digital ignition on my R90/6 last year and have been very happy with it except for the initial test run where the engine would only shut off when you turned off the key, and applied the brakes. (Always read ALL of the instructions).

Regards, Rod.

RODSHERIDAN said:
...except for the initial test run where the engine would only shut off when you turned off the key, and applied the brakes. (Always read ALL of the instructions).

This happened to me as well. I went back to the instructions and made the needed modifications (very simple) so either the key or the kill switch will stop the engine.

Dear Robsmoto, I'm glad this happened to someone else, as well as myself. Being a technologist, I foolishly soldered and heat shrunk all the connections before finding the error in my ways, or should I say the error in the instructions.

Why Boyer Bransden would publish instructions that sometimes work on the front of the instruction leaflet, followed by the correct instructions on the reverse of the leaflet is beyond me.

Oh well, at least the magnets haven't flown off like the Boyer Ignition on my Commando did 30 years ago.

Regards, Rod.

RODSHERIDAN said:
...Why Boyer Bransden would publish instructions that sometimes work on the front of the instruction leaflet, followed by the correct instructions on the reverse ...

I think that there are varying flavors of "correct". For my R60/6 I just installed the Boyer in the "normal" manner and all was well. However, on my 77RS I discovered the the key would not stop the engine with the "normal" installation. Thus, I had to make the alternate "correct" installation.

As I recall the difference between the "normal" and alternate installlation is fairly minor - on the order of changing a single wire. I guess that I'll get to find out all over again which one works when I put the Boyer in my R75/5.

I think that there are varying flavors of "correct". For my R60/6 I just installed the Boyer in the "normal" manner and all was well. However, on my 77RS I discovered the the key would not stop the engine with the "normal" installation. Thus, I had to make the alternate "correct" installation.

As I recall the difference between the "normal" and alternate installlation is fairly minor - on the order of changing a single wire. I guess that I'll get to find out all over again which one works when I put the Boyer in my R75/5.

Good morning!

Received in yesterdays post my Boyer Bransden Electronic Ignition kit and went and looked to see if there has been any discussions and pictures with regards to the installation. This is what I found in the archives of MOA.

It is interesting in that the kit that I received and purchased from the MotorWorks Group from the UK has everything one needs including the Micro Power Coil, Spark Plug WiresRed NGK Spark PlugCover and all the associated hardware. And of course the installation sheet for both installation of either the standard Bosch Coils or the Micro Power Coils from Boyer along with the caution instructions that everyone spoke about with regards to the engine not shutting down when you turn the key off or hit the emergency kill switch.

Attached is the picture of the hardware:

I have several questions with regards to the actual mounting go the Micro-Power Blue Box and the Micro Power Coil. Has anyone found a good spot on the frame that it is secure. I know when I did the Triumph T-140 and Norton Commando's I found several spots that were perfect for the Micro-Power Box and admit I have never used the Micro Power Coil and with the R75/6 frame I have some concerns to mounting these items with some safety of not having it exposed to the heat or falling off. Wonder if anyone can provide some guidance?

Attachments

• P1020702 2.jpg
    P1020702 2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 91
...I have several questions with regards to the actual mounting go the Micro-Power Blue Box and the Micro Power Coil. Has anyone found a good spot on the frame that it is secure. I know when I did the Triumph T-140 and Norton Commando's I found several spots that were perfect for the Micro-Power Box and admit I have never used the Micro Power Coil and with the R75/6 frame I have some concerns to mounting these items with some safety of not having it exposed to the heat or falling off. Wonder if anyone can provide some guidance?

I mounted the box under the tank just in front of the tool tray on the underside of the main frame tube. I used zip-ties and padded it with a section of a neoprene computer mouse pad that I had in my stash. It's secure, close to the coils, and out of the way. If I get a pic later, I'll post it. I didn't use the micro-coil, so not sure what to tell you there...

The location under the main upper frame tube, aft of the coils, near the rear of the fuel tank is where I also placed the computer for my BMW-mounted Boyer units. I think that I used some of the foam padding that accompanied hard drives. My Boyer computer is also secured with a few cable ties. This location keeps the computer cool as there is some air flow, and the computer is out of the way, but yet accessible, if necessary.

I mounted the box under the tank just in front of the tool tray on the underside of the main frame tube. I used zip-ties and padded it with a section of a neoprene computer mouse pad that I had in my stash. It's secure, close to the coils, and out of the way. If I get a pic later, I'll post it. I didn't use the micro-coil, so not sure what to tell you there...

Excellent! I think after doing some searching I would like to take pictures doing the step by step and our leader can put it int the technical section if that's OK with everyone?

The location under the main upper frame tube, aft of the coils, near the rear of the fuel tank is where I also placed the computer for my BMW-mounted Boyer units. I think that I used some of the foam padding that accompanied hard drives. My Boyer computer is also secured with a few cable ties. This location keeps the computer cool as there is some air flow, and the computer is out of the way, but yet accessible, if necessary.

Good points and Thank you for the response.

Excellent! I think after doing some searching I would like to take pictures doing the step by step and our leader can put it int the technical section if that's OK with everyone?

We can do that!! :thumb Note that the Hexheads have their own DIY subforum...it sure would be nice if us Airhead owners could do the same thing...nudge, nudge, wink, wink. :laugh

We can do that!! :thumb Note that the Hexheads have their own DIY subforum...it sure would be nice if us Airhead owners could do the same thing...nudge, nudge, wink, wink. :laugh

Kurt, being a newby, I am game to pass along my knowledge to the other folks on the board if it helps?:clap

Last edited:
Back