• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

First Anniversary

Dave_Hemenway

Folks,

Tonight I went for a ride on my R90/6 that I bought a year ago. I have greatly enjoyed riding the bike, working on the bike and communicating with other Airheads. I have attached a picture of the old girl.

Thanks for everything,

Dave

Attachments

• Lucky at Harry's.jpg
    Lucky at Harry's.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 185
question for you

I have the same year and model.
How's your bike on roads with parallel rain grooves? Mine's horrible.
What kind of tires are you running?
Is that a Day Long seat? How do you like it?
Thanks
Chuck

I'm not an airhead but I can appreciate where you are coming from.
This forum is a great resource, lots of knowledgeable people out there willing to offer advice and guidance.
Cool that you are enjoying.

Is that your helmet . . . . on the ground? Really?
OK, you can slap me . . . and I was doing so well, too! :ha

nice bike

Looks great. Is that original paint?
What is with that windshield? looks like a spinaker sail. Makes it look rather like a a pope mobile, or "Pope-cycle". :stick
I suspect that problems with rain grooves are likely related to tires (or fork/suspension issues) and not inherent to the bike. Good tires (Avons suit me well) and a well set up suspension should heal most ill handling ills.
Theo Marks
'74 R75/6

I'm more than little interested in what kind of "cargo" rack you've got there. It's reminiscent of the QSL Teutonic Cargo rack... but I don't think it is because (it looks like) it's incorporated into the bag mounts.

Not to jack the thread, but I recently put a set of Bridgestone S11 Spitfires on my /5 (replacing old Continental RB2/K112) and all those quirky handling gremlins went away ... the low speed wobble, the terror of crossing expansion joints and highway "dotz", and rain grooves.

Nice scooter Dave. Any noticeable handling issues (high speed wobble tendency) due to the windshield?

I believe the white paint is original, but since I am not the original owner I really don't know. The windhsield was made by Parabellum. It works well, but I was not impressed with their mounting hardware....so I made up my own. The seat was purchased on Ebay and I cut it down to a solo seat so I could mount the bag on the rear half of the seat space. Mywife has her own BMW so I only ride solo! The tires are Metzlers and they work fine. They are slightly problematic on groved roads since they are so narrow. But since I usually ride on back roads at 45 to 55 mph, they have been fine. I have enjoyed working on this bike because it is simple and I can understand it. And if I do have a challenge, there is always helpful advise available.

I bought a set of old Krauser bags on Ebay and the racks came with them. They have worked out well.

I haven't had any trouble with stability, or lack of stability, with the windshield. I think it has improved stability when going into a headwind. I should point out I don't ride fast...my preferred spped is 45 to 55 on back roads.

Nice bike! I have an R90 as well and I still love it! I have a Day Long saddle on it which was built in abour 1980, it was a great seat then and still is! I have recently changed to Bridgestone Spitfires and find they are better on rain grooves than my previous Continentals.

Dave I hope you managed to get the White Krausers to compliment the white bike! You don't see many of the white Krausers around but they look good!

Good news/bad news

Unfortunately, the rain groove wobbles go hand in and with the narrowish 3.25 front tires on airheads. Note that they don't have raingrooves in Europe like they do in north America. But, a narrow tire cuts down through standing water better. The problem with the "old" Continental fronts was the parallel groove pattern.

Oilheads (with wider oval front tires) are much less susceptible to wobbles. Of course, wider oval tires also tend to hydroplane more than narrower tires.

The compromise for airhead pilots is to find a contemporary front tire with a tread that is less likely to snag on grooves. (rain grooves, bridge decks, etc.) However, we're getting more and more restricted in choices as today's motorcycles go to wider and wider profile tires, almost all are tubless, and fewer are available in 19 inch sizes.

Enough riders have run tubes in tubeless tires that unless the tire manufacturer absolutely prohibits it, I'd run tubes in tubeless with little concern.

The Bridgestone Spitfire 11F in 90/90 x 19 is a good choice. The Dunlop D404 is worth a look. The Avon RoadRider AM26 is available in 3.25 x 19 and 90/90 x 19 sizes--at a good price. I've had good luck with Pirelli, and I would consider Kenda.

My point is, different tires have different handling characteristics. Those with a pattern that's more "sideways" than circumferential will typically be less sensitive to parallel grooves or raised edges in the road.

pmdave

Yep, I found a set of white Krausers and they look good on the bike although they do show their age...sort of like me!
FWIW, Krylon Fusion paint in Dover White - satin - is an almost exact match for the white Krausers' original plastic surface.

+2 on Krylon Fusion paint products.

This stuff is specially formulated for use on plastics like ABS, and PVC. I used a can to dress up my black Krauser bags.

Disclaimer:
I have no affiliation with Krylon other than that of a really satisfied customer.

If you're using the stock Krauser frames, what is behind your seat? Is that a custom rack... or part of the bag?

Back