• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I might as well carry spare batteries-Garmin Dakota

Dadrider

Still a learning newbie !
My wife gave me a Garmin Dakota pocket GPS as she is new to motorcycling. Ok, it will fit in the tankbag or in a pocket. I do have a mount for it, so I can mount it.

If I mount it, I want to power it, JUST in the case we do get lost somewhere (that is the plan for buying this bike is so that the missus and I can get lost and spend the day finding our way home)

So, do I resign myself and keep spare batteries, or is there another option that the $50 powerlet harness that I can run from a fused source but won't put more than the 5vdc the garmin runs on.

Can I make something less expensive that that on my own? Or carry spare AAA's?

Dad

Hey there Dad from NO...going to move this to Gear and add Garmin to the title...sure to get some answers there.
Happy "gettting lost" :thumb

$50 bucks might seem like a lot ---

Newbie needs help ! :wave

--- but, else this is what you need:

A powerlet plug or direct-to- battery cord...

which you wire to a Voltage Regulator (12V in and 5V out; check the current requirement for the Garmin; VRs are available from Radio Shack and they are pretty simple to wire up ...

which you wire up from the powerlet plug to

a power plug that fits the Garmin.

If all that is too much for you to do, and it might be too much for a lot of folks, just buy that $50 cable.

I am assuming I read your post correctly, that applying 12V directly to the Garmin will fry it forever and a day ... if that is true, $50 is just insurance money...

Welcome Dad:

I have a GPS like that, it's better for walking around than the big screen ones, batteries last 20 hours instead of 4 for one thing.
When it was my only bike GPS I had rechargeable batteries and could recharge them with an inverter powered off the bike so a spare set meant always having GPS power.

If you really want to do it yourself you can certainly build a 5V supply, the problem is finding a nice right-angle connector for the GPS.

What I did:
With my larger screen Nuvi, I ended up taking apart the 'cig lighter' auto adapter, re-housing the power supply in that, and hard wiring it into the bike 'switched' 12V. I shortened the output cable to about 18".
You can get a 'vehicle power adapter' for yours for $28.

Hope this helps.

For a long time I powered my Garmin 60CSx with the Energizer LITHIUM batteries. They're expensive ($12 for a 4-pack) but they last forever. I didn't need to worry about extra power cables and connectors or about carrying a separate charger.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone. It has given me some options to think about for the short term and long term.

I can pull off making a VR to Garmin, I would have to take my time, but that is doable.

Thank you all again. It has gotten me back on track.

Dad

Back