• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1200 RT Centerstand technique?

Bob,
That's the way I do it as well. Clutch in, side stand down, no weight on the saddle.
Rubber down,
Rich

Donster if you will just take a moment and look at how the centerstand works, you will realize the problem is not sitting on the bike but in riding it off. When fully up on the center stand the bolts it pivots on are not bearing a load at all. As you rotate off the stand the bolts take the full brunt of the bike and whatever is on it.

Sorry. I wasn't paying attention and missed the point in the thread when it changed from getting an RT on to the center stand to launching an RT off of it.

Here in Southern California, I always put the side stand down when on the center stand. You never know where there is going to be an earthquake and it gives you a 50/50 chance of avoiding disaster.

In the garage, I park the non-side stand side against a wall and chock the front wheel.

In the Northridge quake,my K75 came of the center stand, but was resting on the side stand when I opened the door.

Scott

I have a 28" in-seam, so there is no way I would straddle the bike with the center stand down. I put out the side stand, standing beside the bike, and roll it forward off the center stand. Easy to do, extra security in not dropping the bike with the side stand down. My dealer did suggest I straddle the bike and roll it forward off the center stand, but he has way longer legs than I do.

Neil

Getting the bike up onto the centre stand is on of those things that takes practice, and once you find a way that works for you, it seems to become natural and as some have said here, there is an aspect of confidence that it will work - and brute strenght is not the answer.

Well at least us inseam challenged folk don't have to ponder the ride-off question. I am definitely on tip-toes all of the time so don't have a lot of confidence when sitting up on the centre stand with four inches of free air between my boots and the ground. I definitely use the side-stand technique as a safety to take my bike down off the centre stand because of this. Also don't use the centre stand unless I have to either - such as storing for more room in the garage or when doing cleaning or maintenance work.

I'm 5'-6" and weigh 145. Never had a problem getting my R1200R on the centerstand. Now my Suzuki DR 650 single is another matter. I have dropped it numerous times trying to get it on the (aftermarket) center stand.

I not only use the stand beside it with side stand down but I make darn sure the thing is in first gear so it doesn't roll away from me when it hits the ground. Lesson learned the hard way about using the side stand also. My shop has a cement floor but since it is nearly a hundred feet long and was poured in sections it is not perfectly level. Not bad enough to even notice normally. One afternoon I rode into the shop and put the bike on the side stand and walked over to close the doors when the bike rolled forward off the side stand... Yup! I'd coasted into the shop in neutral and never put it in gear before parking.

Here in Southern California, I always put the side stand down when on the center stand. You never know where there is going to be an earthquake and it gives you a 50/50 chance of avoiding disaster.
Here on the East coast, where quakes are not an issue, I never leave the sidestand down when on the centerstand -- last thing I want is to forget the sidestand is down, and then have the sidestand strike the ground as the bike comes off the centerstand and throw the bike over to the right.

For those short of inseam, my inseam is a hair under 30", but I still straddle the bike when I come off the centerstand. I don't like to take it off the stand from the side, because if the bike leans toward the right when it hits the ground, there's no way I can keep it from falling to the right. My solution for the short leg? I slide off a hair to the right to get my right toes on the ground, then push the bike off the centerstand with my hand on the front brake lever -- totally secure, and no sidestand worries.

Why do you turn the bars to the left?

I've found that when the bars are turned left, the bike tends to lean into me if I lose control of it for a moment. That's much easier to control than the alternative, if the bike wants to lean away from me. (I'm relatively small, so I can't exert a lot of leverage from above the bike to counterbalance a lean from the far side.)

I try and make sure my 1150GS wheel is pointed straight when putting the bike on the center stand. When taking the bike off the center stand I turn the handlebars to the left very slightly so if the bike starts to fall it will fall toward me where I have a better chance of holding it upright. If it starts to fall to the right I don't have enough upper body strength to hold it.:violin

No no no !!

Do NOT "stand" on the center stand while lifting the bike.
Keep enough toe pressure on the stand so it stays down and doesn't
move while lifting rearward with the left side passenger grip.
This bike is light enough that any average sized person can easily lift
it onto the stand with not much effort.
I had a '98 RT1100 and the foot lever snapped off because of too much
weight on it. Since then I have used just enough to keep the stand down
while lifting with the handle. Piece of cake!!

I have no problem getting it up on the stand, I'm 5'8" and weigh about 170 lbs. I am careful however to have the bike in 1st gear when taking it down so it won't get away from me.

I straddle my bike (no weight on the seat because I'm standing) and push it off the centerstand. I don't think it puts anymore stress on the bolts than standing beside and pushing it off. Thoughts on this proceedure?

I do exactly the same, have for decades. No problems.

I just wanted to post a warning.

The other day the wife and I parked in a dirt lot, I pushed down with my right foot, but as the stand started sinking I started pulling up. Unfortunately I really messed up my back doign this (yeah, it was just stupid) but just a quick warning that this is a heavy bike and to not lift with your back. (this was also the same day the wife locked the key in the top case and it cost me $140 to get out - spare is now hidden on the bike)

I always put the sidestand down when removing the bike from the center stand. Sometomes the bike gets a little off-kilter, and it is nice to know that all I have to do is pull the bike to me and let it rest on the side stand. Just my 2 cents.

Just make sure it's in gear or it will roll over the side stand and go down.

I just wanted to post a warning.

The other day the wife and I parked in a dirt lot, I pushed down with my right foot, but as the stand started sinking I started pulling up. Unfortunately I really messed up my back doign this (yeah, it was just stupid) but just a quick warning that this is a heavy bike and to not lift with your back. (this was also the same day the wife locked the key in the top case and it cost me $140 to get out - spare is now hidden on the bike)

F.Y.I.

I don't know what kind of top case you own but Givi Monokey bags will not lock unless the key is in the lock cylinder.

I'm not dealer or have any connection to Givi.

R1150ST police model center stand lifting

I just bought a 2004 R1150ST Police model and having a hard time getting it on the stand.
It has heavy chrome crash bars around the saddlebags and the rear. I'm sure this is adding to the problem.
i'm thinking why not park the bike (on side stand) with both tires on a 1/4 or 1/2 " piece of plywood. No plywood below center stand. Would This make it easier to lift?

Peter

I just bought a 2004 R1150ST Police model and having a hard time getting it on the stand.
It has heavy chrome crash bars around the saddlebags and the rear. I'm sure this is adding to the problem.
i'm thinking why not park the bike (on side stand) with both tires on a 1/4 or 1/2 " piece of plywood. No plywood below center stand. Would This make it easier to lift?
Yes, and you would only need to put a chunk of wood under the rear wheel.

That said, I also have a 2004 R1150RT-P, and don't find it to be a struggle to put the bike on the stand, using either the crash bar or the folding handle on the side of the bike -- it's all about technique, not strength.

If you put your location in your profile, you'll likely find someone near you who would be willing to meet up with you and demonstrate.

Center Stand Lift

Thanks Mark,
A matter of trust. I was initially afraid the bike would fall away from me when leaned over. I pushed until I felt the other side of the stand hit the floor and then lifted.

Peter

Regarding Racer7's reply using a "Turn a Bike" to pivot a bike while on the centerstand. The owner of my local BMW dealership showed me that my RT can be pivoted while on the centerstand itself (no "Turn a Bike" or similar device). I use this maneuver often in my garage, but in the back of my mind I wonder if it might not be such a good idea.
On the other hand, if it is not OK why would a second generation BMW dealership principle show me how to do it? Future parts and repairs in mind?:rofl
The "Turn a Bike" would surely put less strain on the mounting bolts but that would just be more stuff cluttering up the garage.

Back