• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2024 National Rally: REDMOND Oregon

Thanks for the registration link!

I’m registered for 2024 and I can’t wait to be wild and crazy and pump my own gas in Oregon! 😎🏍 I already pumped my own gas as they let you pump your own in the past if you were on a motorcycle! 👍🏍

I cheated and used Paul's link.
Don't tell anyone :)

Actually, that page was linked to from the 50th Rally registration page. From the BMWMOA home page select “register for the 50th” and you’ll see a link to registration for the 2024 rally. So, anyone surfing the BMWMOA website could find that link—no email needed!

Best,
DeVern

Actually, that page was linked to from the 50th Rally registration page. From the BMWMOA home page select “register for the 50th” and you’ll see a link to registration for the 2024 rally. So, anyone surfing the BMWMOA website could find that link—no email needed!

Best,
DeVern

But the email to 50th attendees made it easier. :)

And I suspect that BMW MOA needs to do everything it can to encourage 2024 rally attendance. The location does not bode well for lots of folks coming from the eastern US. Just like westerners hate to go east across I25, folks from the east hate to cross the Mississippi river very far. And riding across the empty quarter thrills many of them not even a little.

Add to that concern the high cost of hotel/motel rooms within a reasonable distance of Redmond. I fear lots of folks may just take a pass. We have typically spent at least four nights and sometimes with GEARS up to 6 nights at the rally. Decent hotel rates at Redmond would add to $1,000 or more and that will price a bunch of folks out of the market. It just won't be worth it even for a couple of days.

Right now the nearest KOA wants $65 a night to park a 19 foot camper van, and that is 20 miles from the rally site.

We plan to go on the bikes and camp at the rally, provided I can find power for my oxygen concentrator.

With luck the folks from California, Oregon, and Washington can arrive in droves and bump the attendance to an acceptable level. I do not envy the rally and office staff in trying to budget for this rally.

Last edited:
Got pre-registered and wife will drive the 4 wheeler with camping gear whilst I will pilot the BMW. Nice weather here on the OR coast with 43 last night and high forecast to be near 70 today with 40s again tonight. Can't beat it! I shouldn't have said this because we don't want to encourage people to relocate to this neck of the woods especially from you know where.:nyah

My thoughts so far:

I want to go! Mrs. Veg would like to as well but flying is the only way that will work for her. I keep saying that since I've never ridden cross-continent, I should do it at least once. *IF* I can get to where my butt will survive that kind of saddle-time (37 hours each way! *OUCH!!!*). Maybe a seat-upgrade is in the cards, but even then, how much will it really help, as I'm already on an older custom-built seat? Living where I do, I'll need at least two weeks off to do this trip and that's still slabbing it at least 90%, not much time for exploratory meanders. More than two weeks off may be difficult both at work and on the domestic front. And what will weather be like? I can plan it all, spend lots, and then need to cancel at the last minute if it proves to be a brutal summer. Rally site is a mere 6 hours from Spokane, where we have family we always love visiting. Maybe fly there, check camping gear as luggage, get rental car (I have gobs of free days earned as a road-warrior in my job), see the fam in Spokane for a few days, drive to rally, then fly home from Portland? That seems the best plan so far, but the thought of an epic ride still tugs at me.

My thoughts so far:

I want to go! Mrs. Veg would like to as well but flying is the only way that will work for her. I keep saying that since I've never ridden cross-continent, I should do it at least once. *IF* I can get to where my butt will survive that kind of saddle-time (37 hours each way! *OUCH!!!*). Maybe a seat-upgrade is in the cards, but even then, how much will it really help, as I'm already on an older custom-built seat? Living where I do, I'll need at least two weeks off to do this trip and that's still slabbing it at least 90%, not much time for exploratory meanders. More than two weeks off may be difficult both at work and on the domestic front. And what will weather be like? I can plan it all, spend lots, and then need to cancel at the last minute if it proves to be a brutal summer. Rally site is a mere 6 hours from Spokane, where we have family we always love visiting. Maybe fly there, check camping gear as luggage, get rental car (I have gobs of free days earned as a road-warrior in my job), see the fam in Spokane for a few days, drive to rally, then fly home from Portland? That seems the best plan so far, but the thought of an epic ride still tugs at me.

OK ... just my $.02 but I say DO IT ! You only live once. My first cross country trip was in 2017 when I retired and I had planned on going with a buddy who ended up bailing on my about 2 months before we were scheduled to leave Charlotte for Salt Lake, location of the 2017 Rally. I told my wife I either have to pass or go alone. She said YOU NEED TO GO! Well I did and it was truly an epic trip and one of my best ever! So I say DO IT. Plan your trip with 300 to 400 mile days. Some shorter and a few longer. I would plan on 9 or 10 days each way and then 3 days at the Rally so about 3 weeks. Yes ... take the 3rd week and enjoy it !! You will thank me later. Don't worry about your custom seat ... just stop every 80-100 miles for a stretch and you will be fine.

Registered looking forward for another trip W fm Fla. maybe hit the 49er again(awesome rally and club) before the possibilities are not endless but many !

Rally site is a mere 6 hours from Spokane, where we have family we always love visiting. Maybe fly there, check camping gear as luggage, get rental car (I have gobs of free days earned as a road-warrior in my job), see the fam in Spokane for a few days, drive to rally, then fly home from Portland?

That sounds better than riding the interstate out and back.

My thoughts so far:

My 02 cents idea… use the two weeks for the touring ride out, the Rally, then ride to Spokane.
Store the bike with family there & fly home.
Work the round trip flight backwards, so you return for pickup and trip home on a long weekend plus 2 day’s of vacation. You’re fresh both ways then, allowing two nice trips.

I want to go!

Veg - if you go to any rally, go to this one. Find a way. Are there any rental outfits in Spokane? Or, do what John says above (if you can stand not to have your bike for a long period of time, or have multiple bikes).

If you rent out of Spokane, hit me up for some really good routes to Redmond. This is one of the best areas in the country for avoiding the Interstates.

Ian

i-skkpLTH-X4.jpg

i-gMvqF98-X2.jpg

i-V7VHvbV-X2.jpg

i-CNvMHv9-X2.jpg

i-GxZRDBw-X2.jpg

i-sVNqwPV-X2.jpg

i-QWMdnNj-X2.jpg

Emails went out today about $50 early registration for the 2024 rally.

Debbie J,
Happy Fourth of July! I hope you are enjoying summertime and celebrating with friends and family this year.
I want to let you know about a special "flash sale" for the 2024 National Rally in Redmond, Oregon. For three days only, you can register for the 2024 National Rally for just $50. This is our lowest price of the year and it will never get any better than right now. If you can sneak away from the BBQ for a few minutes, REGISTER NOW and save some money on next year's National event.
This special for the Fourth of July is only available July 3rd through July 5th. And, don't worry if your plans change. Our cancellation policy allows a full refund if you cancel by May 13, 2024. You have plenty of time to plan an epic adventure to Redmond in 2024!
Have a safe and wonderful Fourth of July. Register for the Rally and ride inspired with us to Redmond!
Ted Moyer
BMW Motorcycle Owners of America

https://bmwmoaf.regfox.com/24rally

Looks like they forgot to change the registration deadline on the form.

Thanks everybody for the ideas!

OK ... just my $.02 but I say DO IT ! You only live once.

Yep, I really should!

That sounds better than riding the interstate out and back.

Just about anything sounds better than 5 or more days in a row of slabbing in the summer.

My 02 cents idea… use the two weeks for the touring ride out, the Rally, then ride to Spokane.
Store the bike with family there & fly home.
Work the round trip flight backwards, so you return for pickup and trip home on a long weekend plus 2 day’s of vacation. You’re fresh both ways then, allowing two nice trips.

Hmmmmm, I hadn't thought of that! Sounds like good plan, especially since that would also split the costs of the touring into two different budget-periods. Cost of airfare is negligible as being a professional road-warrior, I also have a pretty good stack of airline points.

Veg - if you go to any rally, go to this one. Find a way. Are there any rental outfits in Spokane? Or, do what John says above (if you can stand not to have your bike for a long period of time, or have multiple bikes).

If you rent out of Spokane, hit me up for some really good routes to Redmond. This is one of the best areas in the country for avoiding the Interstates.

A quick-n-dirty search shows one small rental-outfit in Spokane, and their site shows having at least one GS in stock, which I'd need for ergonomics' sake. I only own one bike but other than going to the national rally, I really don't ride it in the summer as the blistering, sticky southern heat takes all the fun out of it- so I really wouldn't be at any loss to leave it up there for a coupla months, maybe fly up and ride it back in September. Each way could include some fun routes. Mrs. Veg's aunt & uncle have some room in their garage, a little more so since they convinced us to take some old family-junk out of it when we did a fly up/drive home trip a coupla years ago, so maybe I can convince them that they owe me for that! :deal

This just might work!

Thank you for the discount!

I just got my email about the $50 registration: that was enough to get me off the fence and sign on for the 2024 Rally.
I still have the southwest states to ride before hitting my bucket-list of riding all 48 contiguous states, so I am now planning a route through that missing area. It should be a good ride from South Carolina across the southwest to California and up to Oregon. I missed the National Rally both in 2022 and 2023 due to schedule conflicts, but I will be there next year.

time flies!

Can't believe it's been 22yrs already (since last rally at Redmond) Last time I lived near Acme, Wa. ~2 day ride. Now live in Coos Bay ~4hr ride. $50 flash discount. How can I not go?

attendance #s

But the email to 50th attendees made it easier. :)

And I suspect that BMW MOA needs to do everything it can to encourage 2024 rally attendance. The location does not bode well for lots of folks coming from the eastern US. Just like westerners hate to go east across I25, folks from the east hate to cross the Mississippi river very far. And riding across the empty quarter thrills many of them not even a little.

Add to that concern the high cost of hotel/motel rooms within a reasonable distance of Redmond. I fear lots of folks may just take a pass. We have typically spent at least four nights and sometimes with GEARS up to 6 nights at the rally. Decent hotel rates at Redmond would add to $1,000 or more and that will price a bunch of folks out of the market. It just won't be worth it even for a couple of days.

Right now the nearest KOA wants $65 a night to park a 19 foot camper van, and that is 20 miles from the rally site.

We plan to go on the bikes and camp at the rally, provided I can find power for my oxygen concentrator.

With luck the folks from California, Oregon, and Washington can arrive in droves and bump the attendance to an acceptable level. I do not envy the rally and office staff in trying to budget for this rally.

Yeah, "the empty quarter" has kept me back from several proposed treks, once is enough for me. Twice in a month? A'int happening!
If my rememory is working, it seems the last rally at Redmond (2001) and the Salem rally both had good turnout. Any #s available?

Redmond 2024

It has been a while since I posted here. I see several familiar names. As you pour over maps and plan itineraries seriously consider a day trip through Shinako, Antelope, Fossil, and Service Creek. The drop from Shaniko to Antelope is epic. Then south to Mitchell or a longer loop through Spray and the fossil beds down to Hwy 26. The fossil beds have a neat museum. See Ya

Anyone remember one of the best events BMW put on at a rally, at Redmond, the luncheon after riding a ski lift to the top of a mountain near Redmond? That would be fun to do again!

Best,
DeVern

Back