• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Harley-Davidson's Milwaukee-Eight V-twin is brand's first new engine in 15 years

Are you serious? Have you met any of them out on the road and gotten a sideways sneer when you try to say hello?

And they also call us stuckup aloof pricks that wear funny riding suits.

I have got that sneer from fellow BMW riders on more than one occasion:banghead

Case in point was a large group of BMW 6 shooters passing thru our area recently...not ONE wave or glance as two of us on unmistakable BMW models....snobs:dunno

The mob mentality works in every group as any group feels the need to protect their choice of bike and gear...and I have been in both mentioned here to much amusement watching the interactions. Have met some real genuine folks on every model out there...and some serious wearers of hats on their tail sections as well.

Now that we have a KTM in the fold, already have been snubbed by a few BMW riders...crazy I tell you. Maybe I'll put on of those horse tail handlebar thingys on the KTM...it is orange and black after all:stick

Kevin, your nice encounters must have been with the dentist wing of HD owners. It's very different with the tattooed pirate crowd that only rides to bar-hop. Even I have had some cordial encounters with them though, but it always went like this...

This happened multiple times- Me with my BMW at the time, the R1200C Cruiser at a bike event. What I consider to be one of the top 5 most beautiful motorcycles of all time.

When they are alone, a gruff, bearded H-D owner walks over and eyes my cruiser up and down and up and down again. Sometimes they stare for quite a while. Sometimes the bearded one will give me half a nod, most times nothing. Like I'm not even there, or not worthy to speak to. AS SOON AS a couple other H-D friends of his start in our direction, the first guy puts his head down and walks quickly away from us, afraid that they'll notice that he was actually eyeing something other than what The Motor Company built. Strikes me as similar to middle school behavior.

Just an observation since I live close enough to Ft Hood and also worked for a large municipality.

A LOT of the folks being called pirates here are former military personnel who got those tattoos while serving their country and in harms way daily. They returned and bought what all their buds had and whatever incentive H-D provides to military folks helped that. They are not 1%'rs, but get the tag as such.Some do cross that border as witnessed in the Waco shootout arrrest records, most are just like you and me, just enjoying freedom to ride what and how they want. Do you consider the Patriot Guard group as pirates?

While with the city, interacted with Moto Officers and regular patrol staff enough to see the hiring of same folks.
During the summer, the patrol officers in their short sleeves have as many tatts as the folks they are serving. My daughter has a young detective neighbor...on his off days, you would lump him in that generic group as he jumps on his custom Harley in minimal gear to ride with his work buddies....just sayin':dunno

Just an observation since I live close enough to Ft Hood and also worked for a large municipality.

A LOT of the folks being called pirates here are former military personnel who got those tattoos while serving their country and in harms way daily. They returned and bought what all their buds had and whatever incentive H-D provides to military folks helped that. They are not 1%'rs, but get the tag as such.Some do cross that border as witnessed in the Waco shootout arrrest records, most are just like you and me, just enjoying freedom to ride what and how they want. Do you consider the Patriot Guard group as pirates?

While with the city, interacted with Moto Officers and regular patrol staff enough to see the hiring of same folks.
During the summer, the patrol officers in their short sleeves have as many tatts as the folks they are serving. My daughter has a young detective neighbor...on his off days, you would lump him in that generic group as he jumps on his custom Harley in minimal gear to ride with his work buddies....just sayin':dunno

Sorry, but no prior occupation can excuse boorish or stupid actions. Besides, where would it stop? Two legal codes for common citizens and one for former military?

What about for military without tat's. It wasn't that long ago that a tat pretty much separated the officer and non-commissioned classes.

The point I derived from Steve's post is that stereotypes and generalizations about people are seldom of value in predicting individual behavior; not that anyone's past justifies poor behavior.

The point I derived from Steve's post is that stereotypes and generalizations about people are seldom of value in predicting individual behavior; not that anyone's past justifies poor behavior.

Pretty much my point:wave

Speaking of Harley, did you read that Michael Peyton, a nine-year veteran of Harley-Davidson Motor Company, has joined BMW Motorrad? :scratch

I saw a promo for a new show on the Discovery Channel called "Harley and the Davidsons". Looks like it will be a docudrama about the origins of the brand.

I saw a promo for a new show on the Discovery Channel called "Harley and the Davidsons". Looks like it will be a docudrama about the origins of the brand.

Are we allowed to watch that :dunno Don't want to get scolded here:D

Saw the promo, three part series starting next week...why not, so I set the DVR to catch it.

Are we allowed to watch that :dunno Don't want to get scolded here:D

Saw the promo, three part series starting next week...why not, so I set the DVR to catch it.

You'll be okay so long as you wear at least $2,000 worth of BMW clothing while watching.

I think we all understand that ex-military and current day LEOs have tattoos. I don't thing we (at least I wasn't) being judgmental over merely the black t-shirt wearing pirate crowd's appearance, but are speaking about specific behavior.

Back