• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Who is listening now…….. everyone!

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
According to Mozilla research, popular global brands — including BMW, Ford, Toyota, Tesla, Kia, and Subaru — can collect deeply personal data such as sexual activity, immigration status, race, facial expressions, weight, health and genetic information, and where you drive. Researchers found data is being gathered by sensors, microphones, cameras, and the phones and devices drivers connect to their cars, as well as by car apps, company websites, dealerships, and vehicle telematics. Brands can then share or sell this data to third parties. Car brands can also take much of this data and use it to develop inferences about a driver’s intelligence, abilities, characteristics, preferences, and more.

https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/b...rd-volkswagen-and-toyota-flunks-privacy-test/

:hungover

OM

I don't drive my BMW X3 car very much. Usually I just go to the nearby grocery store and sometimes to other stores where my purchases are too large for the motorcycle (e.g., refill propane tank for barbee).

I do tend to comment on poor driving habits and sometimes utter an epithet. No doubt this will amuse / insult listeners -

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XAm9ZofG_q4?si=pwSI-bXmyEPa5cK4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So…those inertial sensors in the car aren’t being used for automatic stability control but for determining if this car’s a rockin’? In the old days, we determined that by just looking over the cars surrounding us at the drive-in theater. :eek
:)

Seriously, I’m wondering if the same level of data collection and resale is happening in countries covered under the GDPR? We in the US have failed miserably when it comes to regulating the collection and commercialization of personal data, and since corporations in this country are now “people” with “free speech” and more that accompanies that designation, putting the data genie back in the bottle is almost impossible.

Best,
DeVern

George Orwell was an optimist.

Give new meaning to “what bug got up your A$$”? OR your car’s seat……

OM

All that is the reason we have one car that has zero telemetry or even a GPS in it.. We get offers for it all the time and we know why... No spyware in it. :clap

Electronic data collection from various sources is too easily adopted/used not to expect it's going to happen, keep happening and get more intrusive as the technology advances.

Back