• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Who can tell me what MARTEK Products made for BMW's?

Na Cl K9

John D'oh
I just purchased an 81 R100RT and found a small toggle switch installed on the dash. I followed the wires and found a black box about the size of a pack of playing cards with a sticker on it that said Martek Products Inc. Santa Anna CA.

I have heard the name in conjunction with BMW motorcycles but cant remember what the products function was. The bike is not running now so I can't throw the switch and find out. Checking the internet via Google did not return any links to the specific company or product.

Someone out there know/remember what this thing is/does???

TIA...Paul

I found an archived post from the Airheads list back in 1997 that discusses an electronic ignition system made by Martek. As of 1997, they weren't around anymore, according to the post. The product was a Martek 440 on his UJM. He was not happy with the unit and indicated that was the common thought at the time...probably why Martek went under.

'81s came from factory with electronic ignition so little need for an aftermarket unit
True...I just got the bike yesterday evening so I need to check now to see what exactly the box is connected to and if the OEM ignition bits are still there. The bike has 27,000 miles on the clock and its condition indicates that is correct. It was running two months ago when it developed a shifting problem that required the transmission be removed and repaired. The PO was a short term second owner and knew nothing about the bike mechanically so, I guess we will see.

The PO did not look like a (typical) Klingon and after all it is just a BMW R100RT and not a "Bird of Prey" so itÔÇÖs probably NOT a cloaking device. If I throw the toggle switch and it disappears IÔÇÖll let you know :)

P

...so itÔÇÖs probably NOT a cloaking device. If I throw the toggle switch and it disappears IÔÇÖll let you know :)

P

if the bike DOES disappear, quick flip the switch back, carefully remove any and all associated wiring ...

and mail that box to me. I may have need for such a device.

is the bike dual plugged ?

no hard knowledge about the Martek product, but some thoughts;
back in the day...
an ignition booster was often used w/ the stock electronic bean-can to promote easier starting and smoother running at idle on the dual plugged engines.
Martek marketed such a device called the Martek 880 CDI Ignition ÔÇô a hybrid CDI to be used in conjunction with their Martek 440 Ignition that claimed to "triple the spark energy"

what I don't understand: why the switch?

If it dissappears, how will I be able to find the switch?

I went a little deeper into the R100RT today and found the OEM electronic ignition components right where they should be. Under the front engine cover there is an unusual large yellow connector with a wire attached that goes to the 'bean-can'. The only wire to it that I can see and the connector is held in place with zip ties. Seems odd to me so IÔÇÖll take a look under the cover of my 83 to refresh my memory.
I have decided that since most of the wires from the black box disappear into the headlight that by looking inside I should be able to tell what it does by the circuits to which it is connected. There are no markings to indicate what model it is or what it does. It wouldn't be a headlight modulator would it - I mean because of the switch? Well....the bike is box stock original and (until recently, mostly) unmolested.

I believe Martek made a "headlight modulater" maybe that's it.

The PO did not look like a (typical) Klingon and after all it is just a BMW R100RT and not a "Bird of Prey" so itÔÇÖs probably NOT a cloaking device. If I throw the toggle switch and it disappears IÔÇÖll let you know :)

But did he look like a Romulan? They were the ones with the cloaking technology. Cloaking is anathema to the Klingon way of proudly engaging battle.

Klingon_Homeless.jpg

yep thats what I meant.

MARTEK HEADLIGHT MODULATOR, NEW FITS JAPANESE CYCLES! MARTEK HEADLIGHT MODULATOR , NEW FITS JAPANESE CYCLES! Watch this item. This seller accepts PayPal ...

yep thats what I meant.
MARTEK HEADLIGHT MODULATOR, NEW FITS JAPANESE CYCLES! MARTEK HEADLIGHT MODULATOR , NEW FITS JAPANESE CYCLES! Watch this item. This seller accepts PayPal ...

You are correct. It is a Martek headlight modulator. The wires from the black box run into the headlight and are connected directly to (1). a non-specific power source and (2). to the high/low beam switched circuit (clipped to the white and yellow wires which go to the H4 bulb connector). The switch on the dash is the on/off switch.

Thanks once again to the "collective"...
8610 of 38000

aka Paul

Back