• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Where the needles cross between scientific exploration and Extreme Tourism

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
As most of us have heard, 5 souls lost last week in the latest undersea trip to the Titanic wreckage site. As Extreme tourism continues to grow, whether it's to the top of MT. Everest or to the depths of the ocean it seems that Scientific Exploration and the experiences of Extreme Tourism are completely intertwined.
Having experience in the mountains and on the ocean, one thing I was able to figure out early is that neither environment had a conscience. In fact, there was no consideration of either environment realizing that I was there.

RIP and condolences for the recent losses and for all those that have tried to challenge those unforgiving environments.

From CBS Sunday Morning-

:usa

om

Quite tragic and quite ironic at the same time. The failure of man to listen to the warnings in time is his greatest defeat. May we all learn to do better at that in our lifetime.

One thing I heard today was that the carbon fiber used was past its "shelf life" for the airplane industry. A bit murky about purchase of that from Boeing, but to cut corners when dealing with that kind of power of the ocean doesn't really make sense. Really must respect what the environment can do.

My old company was part of a team to build a submersible that could get to IIRC 6500 meters of sea water. Rigorous design and testing were used to certify the vehicle. The main compartment is an inches-thick titanium sphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwU0VzZiUgI

Another tragic example

From ABC News

Florida man and stepson die after hiking in extreme heat in Big Bend park in Texas

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/florida-man-stepson-die-after-hiking-extreme-heat-100366852

From mid June to mid Sept, the valley of the sun [ Az. ] is extremely dangerous to be out exerting oneself. Having been on SAR for years here and rescuing people who've succumbed to heat stroke and/or heat exhaustion while hiking, I can state pretty emphatically people NOT from the area [ tourists ] hiking the Superstition Mountain range are fairly unaware of the fact they can sit on the shade at 115F and dehydrate in less than 90 minutes doing nothing but sitting. The air so dry it sucks the water out of your body.

If you're sweating/dripping your shirt with sweat, you're already in trouble and may not know it. To get a soaked shirt in sweat out here suggests your body is losing far too much water. In the heat here, SAR recommends 1 gallon of water/with electrolytes every hour. We've seen people take a small bottle of water intending to only hike 5 miles or less, and they succumb to the heat with medical issues. People from the northern states who hike regularly in their states have NO idea [ most of them ] just how dangerous and quickly the heat will put you on your butt.

Doesn't surprise me that these people didn't have the knowledge of how to survive in extreme temps here, let alone west Texas in that type of heat index.

As for the Titan crew, they probably should have listened to the guy who saw the vessel wasn't well maintained and decided to not jump onboard. Rest in peace to the deceased crew members.

One of the most frequently ignored warning/informational signs in the Northeast-

il_fullxfull.3391828851_bnyb.jpg

Having experience with Mount Washington I can verify the rather crazy and immediate weather changes. Like all risky endeavors, it is much better to plan for the worst and what will happen if the worst happens.

I would seem that increasing travel in these areas (The Presidential Range) has made following the trails and trail markers (cairns) easier, when the fog and clouds roll in, being above the tree-line can get hairy.

As for the Superstition Mountain range Brownie mentioned, I was in the area once after a heavy rain. The tarantulas had been flushed out oh their borrows and popped as the car tires rand them over. The roads were covered.

There are many aspects of Extreme Travel to be considered.

OM

From mid-May through early September the routine National Park admonishment to hikers is to hike early and to be off the trails by 10:00 a.m. And with the current extreme heat the advice is to not hike at all except for very short hikes early in the morning.

While I have compassion and sympathy in this case, that an adult father would ignore this advice and endanger both of his stepsons and himself simply amazes me. He should have obtained and read the book, Death in the Bigbend before contemplating a hike across a shadeless landscape in triple digit temperatures. This particular trail approaches very near the Rio Grande near the lowest - and thus hottest - part of the park. The park ranges in elevation from 7,825 ft at Emory Peak to about 1,800 feet where the river exits the park.

Last edited:
Tourists rarely or never listen to the locals when it comes to weather/safety related things.
Even in the Keys I had to cut fishing trips short because of heat related problems, on the water no less...:huh
I had all the relevant info on my website, as did most other guides, and do you think people read or listen? Heck no, why bother? So plenty of full days turned into half's and I still got paid for the full days they booked.. Sorry no refunds for stupid.

The Titan is a tragedy for the passengers but not so much for the CEO. He was too cheap and too stuck up for his own good and others paid a heavy price for that.
You just don't mess with Mother Nature and laws of physics. They are both impartial.

Tourists rarely or never listen to the locals when it comes to weather/safety related things.
Even in the Keys I had to cut fishing trips short because of heat related problems, on the water no less...:huh
I had all the relevant info on my website, as did most other guides, and do you think people read or listen? Heck no, why bother? So plenty of full days turned into half's and I still got paid for the full days they booked.. Sorry no refunds for stupid.

The Titan is a tragedy for the passengers but not so much for the CEO. He was too cheap and too stuck up for his own good and others paid a heavy price for that.
You just don't mess with Mother Nature and laws of physics. They are both impartial.

Reality can often be rude to the unprepared.

It's unfortunate that many people actually choose to remain ignorant because facts - whether it's evolution, climate change, vaccines, etc. - interfere with their own preconceived notions.
For them, the only time science matters is when it relates to the diameter of a football. :banghead

It's unfortunate that many people actually choose to remain ignorant because facts - whether it's evolution, climate change, vaccines, etc. - interfere with their own preconceived notions.
For them, the only time science matters is when it relates to the diameter of a football. :banghead

The fact is there is only one truth no matter what you may think you believe. But this discussion doesn't belong here.

Back