• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What Are These Holes For?

Geoff

I'd love to have that fender flap. Is it available somewhere? I live on 2 miles of gravel road, It would be functional and very aesthetic at the same time.

[if I'm seeing it correctly] Ive never seen the mud flap mounted like that-- on the outside of the fender before, usually its on the inside?

...here's a pic of my bike with those holes filled, having a happy honeymoon. :dance

holes_filled.jpg

Gee, I learned something today.

I previously thought those were center stand balancing holes.

You know, drill a few holes in the rear extremity of the bike so that it will balance with the rear or front tire off the ground.

:ca

I'd love to have that fender flap. Is it available somewhere? I live on 2 miles of gravel road, It would be functional and very aesthetic at the same time.

Factory part, I believe. I had one on my RS, though I bolted it on the inside.

Holes, Rear Fender

[if I'm seeing it correctly] Ive never seen the mud flap mounted like that-- on the outside of the fender before, usually its on the inside?

If you mount the mud flap inside the fender will this allow water and mud to run between the flap and the fender and shou up on the outside of the flap.

If you mount the mud flap inside the fender will this allow water and mud to run between the flap and the fender and shou up on the outside of the flap.

That makes sense to me and I believe it is mounted correctly. Note, the holes in the mud flap have stainless eyelets, rivited into them, so putting those on the inside wouldn't makes sense. It'd just press into the plastic of the fender. This way, it actually mounts flush, the screws are countersunk into the eyelets and it keeps mud from the tire off the outside of the mudflap.

When I bought this bike, it had been sitting for 8 years in a garage. As a result (and my curiousity over my first Airhead) I have gone over most of the bike, including the removal of the fender with mudflap. When I bought it there was an extendable Reynold folding rack, Luftmeister trunk (rack lifts up and back to allow for the seat to open, after you have removed the right pannier, of course. Otherwise the seat cowling would strike the rack. It also has a trailer hitch with a good sized trailer. I've since removed the rack, hitch (integral) and trunk for now, but the trailer hitch actually hugged the mudflap, keeping it in perfect symmetrical shape.

Very tidy.

The rubber flap commonly cracks at the bend of the fender over time. Someone mentioned to me that they boiled the flap to make it more plyable before they installed it. I'm going to give that a try the next time I install one.

Available at MaxBMW (and probably other places):
http://tinyurl.com/5pfveo

Part number I believe is: 46622300481 sells for $15.50.

Few things worth having in this crazy life can be had for just $15.50. :dance

Update: Better yet, and as usual, Chicago BMW has the best price, $12.40 ( http://tinyurl.com/5ner2b )

Back