• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Weird feels and noises

superblackbird

I'm experiencing some weird things with my K16 15 with 600km on it. Can somebody can confirm that they are normal or not...

First one: When braking with pressure on both front lever an rear brake pedal, when almost stopped i'm feeling some pulse on the rear brake pedals like if ABS was engaging and also pedals at one point is going down while the front brake caliper is activated (rear pedal going back up after) meaning that i'm finishing with a rude stopping because of the suddenly activated front calipers linked pistons.

Second one: I'm also feeling vibration when cluth released on neutral and clutch is noisier than when lever is pulled loud enough to be noticeable. Also i'm felling a ''pulse'' in the clutch lever when pulled and decelerating with a speed engaged and off throttle.

If someone can tell me if I have to worried or not it will be very appreciated ;)

Thank you in advance for your help...

I'm experiencing some weird things with my K16 15 with 600km on it. Can somebody can confirm that they are normal or not...

First one: When braking with pressure on both front lever an rear brake pedal, when almost stopped i'm feeling some pulse on the rear brake pedals like if ABS was engaging and also pedals at one point is going down while the front brake caliper is activated (rear pedal going back up after) meaning that i'm finishing with a rude stopping because of the suddenly activated front calipers linked pistons.

Second one: I'm also feeling vibration when cluth released on neutral and clutch is noisier than when lever is pulled loud enough to be noticeable. Also i'm felling a ''pulse'' in the clutch lever when pulled and decelerating with a speed engaged and off throttle.

If someone can tell me if I have to worried or not it will be very appreciated ;)

Thank you in advance for your help...

No worries on either. Both are normal and pretty much explainable.
The brakes are linked, but not just hydraulically. The ABS acts as a active system, so you are feeling it take over when you are switching between more or less pressure than it would apply to the rear brake if you were not also using the pedal. If you are in the school of always using your rear brake when coming to a stop, let up on the front more. Personally, I use only the front brake now, as I trust the system, and I have a bad left leg, so I have to put my right foot down first 95% of the time anyway. Again, it is normal, how you deal with the computer second guessing you is up to you.
As for the vibration, it is just how the clutch and the clutch and gear box work inside. No worries, it does seem peculiar, but you will get (kinda) used to it.

No worries on either. Both are normal and pretty much explainable.
The brakes are linked, but not just hydraulically. The ABS acts as a active system, so you are feeling it take over when you are switching between more or less pressure than it would apply to the rear brake if you were not also using the pedal. If you are in the school of always using your rear brake when coming to a stop, let up on the front more. Personally, I use only the front brake now, as I trust the system, and I have a bad left leg, so I have to put my right foot down first 95% of the time anyway. Again, it is normal, how you deal with the computer second guessing you is up to you.
As for the vibration, it is just how the clutch and the clutch and gear box work inside. No worries, it does seem peculiar, but you will get (kinda) used to it.
Yep what he said

+2 on the rear brake pulse -- just the ABS unit taking over or "letting go" of control of the rear brake pressure.

A side note: because the system automatically applies the rear brake in the proportion it calculates is appropriate for the situation, in most cases (i.e., above very slow speed) your application of rear brake on top of the system's just wears the rear pads out faster - a couple folks have done so before the first 6000 mi. service (I suspect they were using the rear brake *waaay* too much). I'm a long-time front and rear brake user (used to teach it in MSF classes), and I'm still training myself out of that automatic response, learning to rely on just front brake application. If you have multiple bikes it is harder because you don't want to loose the habit for the non ABS bikes -- in that case you're better off just replacing rear pads more often.

On the clutch noise, normal -- you should hear the rattling that comes from a '94 boxer or a Ducati clutch when in neutral and the lever is out! It's like all the gearbox and clutch parts (with no pressure on them biasing them against one another) are rattling around in a metal bag.

The pulsing in the clutch lever is due to the slipper clutch, and is also "normal." The K16 has three ramps between the clutch basket (driven by the crankshaft) and the inner plate at the base of the clutch pack (drives the tranny input shaft). When the clutch has sufficient power being added or removed (by the rear wheel or the engine) the basket and the inner plate rotate relative to one another. That relative movement in the circumferential direction translates into the opposing ramps riding along each other, which creates an axial movement that spreads apart the clutch plates a bit to permit some slippage (if the rear wheel is driving) or pulls the plates tighter together to prevent slip (if the engine is driving). That tiny axial movement can be felt through the clutch throw-out rod back up the hydraulic line to the clutch master cylinder (and hence, your fingers). Mildly disconcerting at first, but soon you won't hardly notice.

A big THANK you for your replies an explanations. Now i will completely enjoy the rides without having to be worried about those.

While mentionning the Ducati's for the rattling sound of their dry clutch, i can easily imagine the sound and that i'm earing but in an oil ''bathtub''.

For the rear and front applied brakes while braking it's gonna be hard to loose this habbit. Driving bikes for a while now and teached to do so.

My wife and me did a 500 km. ride last night and WHAT! a bike. Hard on my body but again WHAT! a bike, i'm happy that i gave this model a second try as owning a new 2012 GTL for 49 km. and decided to swap for an other model after a frustrating breakdown (defective fuel pump). But that's an other story.

I'm an happy Mottorad rider now and glad having found a good community to share :thumb ...

Back