• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Warning for I70 Colorado road surface

O

OUTBACKUFO

Thought that i would put this in Campfire so more people see it...

I70 in Colorado from Georgetown to where US24 meets I70 west of Vail is really bad right now. IT was a very harsh winter for the roads.

West Bound
for starters after Georgetown west bound I70 there starts to be some smaller shallow pot holes from the top layer of Aspaht being chipped away from the plowing after the ice and melt cycles. at the top near the Tunnel there are some bad pot holes in the right lane. The Decent into Silverthorn has a lot of cracking that runs parrellel to the direction of travel where the different lanes were paved besides the shallow pot holes from the top layer of asphalt. the parrallel cracking is bigger then they can seal and fill with Tar Snakes. once you get down the tunnel pass there is a bit of okay then at the overpass at Silverthorn there are some really bad pot holes and cracking on the west side of the overpass and heading up the next hill in the right lane... left lane is not much better on overpass.
heading into Frisco there are some really bad cracking sections of the top layer of asphalt. after Frisco it is okay until you start up Vail Pass at Copper Ski area.
Vail Pass West bound is really bad :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh After the first right bank curve there starts to be major pot holes in the right lane and cracking big enought to bounce a cycle in a not fun way. the two lanes pavement is cracking at the seams to upwards of 4 inch wide that run parralell to traffic... Of course most of the worst pot holes are in curves or just after one also. I got bounced bad two weeks ago in one i did not see since i was moving over to miss another... about half way up west bound there is a pot hole/ crack that could take out a smaller size car tire without a second thought :bluduh It is in the right lane on the left side of the lane (left riding section of the lane for cycles)... passing it three times now in the last two weeks i figure it is at least 10-15ft long, 12-18 wide in the widest part and at least 12inches deep:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek:eek in the middle... i would not like to think what it would do to a cycle.. the decent into Vail is better with only few rougher spots.

In Vail at the west exist there is a couple pot holes in theright lane and a couple really bad ones in both lanes in a sharpe curve over an over pass just west of Vail at the US24 intersections.

EAST BOUND
Vail pass is not too bad... still keep an eye out it is still freezing up there at night right now with major melt durning the day... there only a few rough section here and there. east bound up to the Eisenhauer Tunnel is rough here and there depending on what lane you are in with a big whoop from a section of the road that is permafrost heaving a touch... there is some bad pot holes right as you go into the tunnel. the Decent into Georgetown is smooth except the top 4-5 miles from the tunnel where there is some cracking and a few shallower pot holes here and there mostly up above the Bakersfield exit..

SO all of you be careful on I70 in the mountains until the CDOT gets things patched which i doubt will be anytime soon....

Excellent info on I 70

I drive it every day that I'm not traveling out of state. CDOT is starting repaving west bound from just east of the tunnel to Frisco so traffic will be a PITA for most of the summer.

Thanks for the tip. That will be very useful info on a trip to the West Coast from here (Missouri).

I drive it every day that I'm not traveling out of state. CDOT is starting repaving west bound from just east of the tunnel to Frisco so traffic will be a PITA for most of the summer.

I have to head over the hills to DIA on Thursday... but will be in the car at least...

Sweet

Going to have to get over there. I want to loop Fremont pass, Independence pass and Vail pass.:thumb

Back