• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Victor, Colorado - World's Greatest Gold Camp. Then and Now

sfarson

Yesterday rode to the Cripple Creek, Victor area of Colorado. Serious gold mining history. Found some images online of how the Victor area looked almost 110 years ago. Gonna look at the past, find the present, look forward.

The weather turns gloomy quickly. Things turn dark as nearby Pike's Peak creates its own weather. Can't hang around long as thunder accompanies the exploration. So some of the later images reflect the declining conditions but in a way, the coming gray skies fit with the B&W images of the past.

The ride is in the pics. First stop is just above Cripple Creek at a scenic overlook...
cripple1.jpg

cripple2.jpg

That's the Sangre de Christo Range in the background, Cripple Creek in the foreground...
cripple3.jpg

Victor is about five miles away. It is where we are going. Not far by a two wheeled horse, but more of an event when a four legged horse provided transport. Here's a sign in the town....
victorsign.jpg

The fine print notes back in 1902 the population was 17,500...
victorb.jpg

Today it is 17,000 less...
victora.jpg

But one can locate a 1900 image of a sturdy building...
4thvictorb.jpg

And see it stands proudly today...
4thvictora.jpg

Turning slightly to the left, back then...
north4thb.jpg

And today...
north4tha.jpg

A busy place around 1900...
streetsceneb.jpg

Less so today. One can note the slopes containing mines in the background...
streetscenea.jpg

The hills are a checkerboard of mines at the turn of the previous century...
bullhillminesb.jpg

But it is difficult to place just where the photographer stood back then. Slopes change shape as mines go down and tailings come out...
bullhillminesa1.jpg

So why not another pic of this changed landscape...
bullhillminesa2.jpg

Here's men on the payroll of the mines...
mining2.jpg

mining3.jpg

You may have noted darkening images of the slopes above. This is how it looked 90 degrees to the right from where the two slopeside pics were taken.
weather.jpg

It was mentioned how the mines changed the landscape. The other was fire. Wood was the main source for construction, the fuel for warmth. Structures are packed tightly. A fire let loose in one could, and easily did, spread to others. Many towns in Colorado 100 years ago experienced the cycle of construction, destruction by fire, construction, destruction by fire... In 1899 one such blaze swept through much of the city...
fireb.jpg

The train tracks seen above are replaced by the dirt road here, but I couldn't get any higher for the residence on the rocks behind me...
firea.jpg

Last edited:
Many were left homeless from this major fire...
homeless.jpg

When the call came to the fire department, this provided the transport for the fire fighters...
firetruck1b.jpg

And why didn't I turn the bike around...
firetruck1a.jpg

I think there's some "posers" here for this image. :)
firetruck2b.jpg

firetruck2a.jpg

Not a long ride this day, but a long time. 140 miles and 110 years. One can note the change, the lack of change, what is gone, what remains. The people on the stage of life then, and we on the stage now. Yeah, maybe some mushy thoughts, but perhaps incentive to make the most of the lines we are given, and delivering them well, with that prop having two wheels on it a great add to the scene we are in.

Last edited:
that is really cool what you did...

i often wonder about how it used to be in these small towns as we roll through them...

time marches on... thanks...

owrstrich

Very nice! I like the original or at least unusual theme for a ride report. I used to live in Colo Spgs and have ridden to Cripple Creek and Victor.
Good Job.

outstanding report

now I have to go see it for myself! Adding it to the list...

I always love and admire your work. Nice blend of old photos and that wonderful stead of a GS Adv is very nice in the modern day shots.

How was your Chilean adventure ? Welcome back.

Hey thanks everyone. It was a good ride.

Statdawg... thanks for asking. It was a very fine experience. Not sure where you caught my plans for Chile following business there, but did make a post with images and videos here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240376

Appreciate your comments.

Steve

Back