• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Top case Disassembly 05-13 R1200RT

I bought a used 49qt Top case and would like to paint to match. got it apart from bottom, and pad and gasket removed, but cant figure out how to separate the outer shell from the inner liner, so as to remove hinges and badge ? ? What am I missing, or what is the trick , Thanks

Just paint it just like that. Hinges and badge can be taped. Badge can be removed if you must but forget about the hinges. Got mine done that way with no problem.

You don't have to remove the hinges if you are just wanting to paint the top part of the 49L case. The cover to the lid top actually removes very easily,

I can't recall exactly how I did mine, but IIRC, it was all done from the inside of the case. First try removing all the interior screws (not the two that are inside the lid lip, just the interior ones. Can't recall if the rear badge is attached via some of those (I think it is) or if it is attached to the lid cover. Anyway, I got the lid-top cover piece off very quickly (about two years ago).

Back