• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

todays wiring question..... flasher relay

brant914

so my bike (1971 R75/5) came to me with this relay... and a spagetti mess of wiring in the headlight.

this flasher was connected on both terminals, but floating loose inside of the headlight bucket

as I'm going through the wiring... I can see the diagram for the 2 terminals...

is this supposed to mount into a 3 receptor (relay?) similar to the one used on the headlight bulb... (I'm talking about the bake-lite square with 3 wire inputs... 31/56A/56B)

If I use that mount.. this generic flasher is oriented wrong.. however I could move the 56A wire into the 56B slot and it would then work

whew... sorry this is confusing.
I don't know if I should find a correct relay, or what people generally use that might be less expensive than the 60$ factory relay

I'm also unclear what holder, or if the relay is supposed to use the square bake-lite relay as a mounting place?

thanks for any input

I'll add a picture of my generic relay
not exactly sure what the correct one should look like, or if its terminals are oriented differently
relay2.jpgrelay.jpg

That number, 552, does appear to be an aftermarket relay for the /5. It had only two terminals. On the OEM part, one terminal was 15 (might be external 31) and represented switched power...was a green with black stripe wire. The other terminal was 54 (might be 56a external) and looks like it comes from the flashers themselves. This wire was green with yellow stripe.

As for mounting, have a look at some of the threads in the Similar Thread below. I think the relay is round and likely should snap into a holder of some sort.

great
thank you again Kurt

I read all of the similar threads.
answered my mounting question.....

regarding the OEM part with terminal 15(31) and terminal 54

my aftermarket version pictured... has the terminals marked "X" and "L"

I realize the X may be a plus symbol if you look at the orientation while held....

Does anyone know if aftermarket labeling of "L" has a universal designation....
and anyone willing to guess if the "X" should likely be the positive terminal

thanks again
brant

wow...

I'm so impressed.
don't know how you found that
but bingo... it must be power if it needs a fuse.

thank you

Back