• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

To Bleed or not to Bleed ?

R

RMRCLR

I have a 2004 1150RT and would like to do some of the basic maintenance myself. I just helped a freind with a Goldwing bleed his brake fluid. It was a five step process but not too big a deal. It appears that my 1150RT would be easier to get to the bleed points than his bike. But, in reading my Clymer maintenance manual it says that if the bike is an ABS model it MUST be taken to a BMW Dealership to use a power brake bleeder or the air could not be gotten out of the the large number of lines in the system. Has anybody done brake bleeding on an ABS system without using a power bleeder? The manual also calls for a special filling funnel tool to fill the reservoirs in the ABS modulator. Also , should this be done Annually or by millage? :dunno

Theres a site that shows you how to bleed the ABS system. Shows you how to make the funnel for the ABS unit and all. (no you dont need a power bleeder) Its on my computer at work and Ill post it here when I get there tonite. I do believe however that even with ABS you can bleed the brakes from the front and rear master cylinders in the conventional manner.
The brakes themselves should have the fluid changed every year (according to BMW) but not the ABS unit. It cant hurt to change the BF but I rather doubt its necessary every year. One area I dont not agree with BMW is bleeding the clutch. THAT should be done once a year because its used about 100 times more frequently than the brakes. But they sai biannually.

I bled the brakes & clutch on my 051150ra over the off season , used an o-ring & small funnel to act as a resovoir for the wheel side took my time & viola ,,clean fluid is happy fluid ..

...Has anybody done brake bleeding on an ABS system without using a power bleeder? The manual also calls for a special filling funnel tool to fill the reservoirs in the ABS modulator. Also , should this be done Annually or by millage? :dunno

Annually, but several sources have said that BMW recently changed the interval from once a year to every two years. I just did it on my '03, carefully following the instructions provided in the links above, and all is fine.

One note: the filler adaptor instructions show the old style reservoir cap. The new style has a hose barb sticking out the side that will need to be plugged. Also, I was not able to buy just the cap and had to buy the assembly consisting of two caps and the attached hoses.

John

Annually, but several sources have said that BMW recently changed the interval from once a year to every two years.
John

I'm not certain, but I was under the impression that the increased service interval only applied to newer BMWs with steel brake lines.
I have read that rubber lines actually should be replaced after 4 years--not sure I'll do it and if I do I'll switch to steel.

Installing Speed Bleeders

Great posts on bleeding the ABS system(s). First go around in doing maintenance on my '02 RT (bought it less than a year ago) and plan on installing Speed Bleeders then bleeding the entire system. Can you install the Speed Bleeders by just removing the OEM bleeders then installing the Speed Bleeders? Is the system pressurized with the ignition off?

I installed Speedbleeders (bleeder nipples at the calipers) on the front and rear calipers of my 94 R1100RSA, and it is now very easy to bleed my brakes. Takes me about 1/2 hour to replace the brake fluid in my brake system and get solid feel at the lever and pedal.

Spring of last year I even replaced the ABS controller, and I had no trouble at all bleeding the system. It has worked fine since I replaced the controller.

Back