• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tech day as free clinic

Tech Days

I'm certainly happy that both sides were heard and I presume, everything is sorted out.
If someone arrives with a bike that needs excessive repair then that should be considered a "feature" event where the team of attendees can discuss the problems and solutions for and with the owner, to give the insight into what they're dealing with from a big picture perspective before a wrench is turned! This could save a lot of time and frustration.
I suggest that the announcement of a tech day include: 1. the fact that not all repairs needed will be able to be done based on needed parts, tools, time or abilities of the attendees. 2. The statement that the day is an opportunity to learn by doing on your own bike with the guidance of others who have done it before. I grew quite intolerant of people showing up expecting someone to do all the work for them. The knowledge and abilities learned combined with the socializing and fellowship should be part of the incentive. 3. Those who choose to contradict others and lead people who are working on their bikes down the garden path to more labor than is necessary, should be warned about attending and asked to leave if they show up! I remember once when I was guiding two people at the same time on a clutch spline lube job. I'd talk them through a couple of steps that they would be making next, only to have this non-airhead rider come along and tell them that one or the other step was not necessary. Drove us all crazy!

My take on tech sessions is they are a learning experience for all. We can all learn something. Individually, we don't know it all, but collectively we know quite a bit. There are times where the lesson is not necessarily about the machines, but philosophy. If you don't learn something at the session, perhaps you weren't paying close enough attention. Just my nickel's worth (inflation).

Tech Day

Well neither of you were around when the guy on the oilhead showed up and thought we were running a speed lube. I wish I had a video of the looks on faces in the shop when guy said he needed to be back on the road in less than an hour. :). I thought Ray and I did a pretty good imitation of a NASCAR pit crew and we got him out of there and 179212's bike up on the lift. I should probably have stayed more involved with the project but was trying to focus on Ben's project on the other lift. I was pretty proud of myself for doing more "mentoring" and having him swing all the wrenches, but it was his 5th tech day and he went to MD for super tech so he's used to the culture.

JamesA - thanks for all your help/hard work, my tech days would be a nightmare without guys like you jumping in on projects. If we could find 1-2 more I'd pick up a third lift. (Just kidding)

I thought the oil change was a prearranged part of the plan now I know that lift has a curse on it after wiping the oil of from my bike apply some holy water.

I remember once when I was guiding two people at the same time on a clutch spline lube job. I'd talk them through a couple of steps that they would be making next, only to have this non-airhead rider come along and tell them that one or the other step was not necessary. Drove us all crazy!

I remember entering my not quite perfect R90s in a MOA National Rally display years ago and within a few moments, this ya-hoo was picking it apart with his expert critique on all it's non-original parts. The fact that I rode it over 1000 miles to the rally and the bike had 140k on it obviously didn't impress.

But my wife came to the rescue, put him in his place by saying, "uhmmm, so where's your R90s? We'd like to critici....I mean critique yours"

He walked away. :)

Anyone run any tech days in the KC area? Would love to throw the tools in the truck and just show up to help/learn.

Anyone run any tech days in the KC area? Would love to throw the tools in the truck and just show up to help/learn.

I did for the KC and Topeka clubs for 15 years but moved away in 2005. But, get in touch with Don Hamblin (bmwscooter@gmail.com) to see who is dong what now.

New Friend

Thanks to Airmarshel Jim with some work and some horse trading (one good tranny that would not work with R100/7 one bad transmission that was in R100 for a good transmission that works in bike ) the R100/7 lives again.IMG_1578.jpg

I must point out that I think while we worked well together it was very helpful that Jim knew what he was doing and willing to share that knowledge. I have more to do but at the movement Whitey the oilhead is very happy to have a new airhead friend, enough so to give him one of his milk crates after some cleanup I will post a picture of Fuzzy with his new top box.

Here is shared for everyone is my "after action" assessment that I shared with 179212.--------------------------------

I want to stress to you how important it will be for you to replace the speedometer cable boot. If you do not do that and choose to ride your bike in the rain, the transmission will acquire rain water, and set it on the path to ruin. That transmission was rebuilt by Jimmy Reed, now deceased, who was the top mechanic at Underwood Sales in St.Joseph, IL. It has all the best upgrades that were available at the time. That work was done in the early '80's.

I would also recommend that you get all new rubber parts for the carburetor intakes. Those were beyond stiffened. Recall the difficulty with re-assembling the intakes. Also, a new drive shaft boot and the bolts for the transmission flange. Lastly, get a supply of crush washers and change all the oil in both the motor and the drive train. Maybe change the oil twice inside a range of 500 miles.

If you do these recommended service tasks, I think you will have a reliable bike for the long term.

The electric start issue, to my observation, was more about the starter relay than the starter push button or the battery. We could hear the relay clicking in when the starter would not engage. That rules out the thumb switch. Try cleaning up the relay connections first, and make sure the battery is fully charged. Last resort would be to open up the relay to try to clean up the internal bits, or buy a new one. I would try cleaning the internal parts first.

When I rode the bike today after the work that we did, it ran about as well as I would expect an airhead with any kind of history and mileage to run. We are very close to having a good, reliable bike here. Your bike, from the seat of the pants, runs as well as any bike I own. It might leak a bit more, but that is another issue. Use the dip-stick.
All the best,
James A...

Back