• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Swing arm pivot bolt

1aretea

Hello, my first post. But I've been lurking here for quite some time. I know I'll get the info needed here to solve my problem. I hear a clunking sound when my R1150RT-04 is on the center stand and I push down to make the rear tire touch the concrete. It sounds like it is coming from the pivot point of drive shaft assy.and the frame. Two days ago the local BMW dealer retorqued the bolt. I trusted them and rode off. Just changed motor oil and final drive lube, today. Thats when I discovered the problem. By the way 20,000 miles ago they tightened the same pivot bolt. But what's got me really mad is at 58,000 miles the seal for the tranny leaked and ruined the clutch. Complete clutch job and clutch actuator assy. I was thinking with the bike being mostly disasembled that the mechanic would recognized that there was a problem with the swing arm pivot bolt and its bushing or bearings. Has this happened to other guys or girls on their bike, I have a Clymers manuel and will check it out, I'll want to do it my self, as long as it not real advanced. I do most of the work my self, balance TB, adjust valves, change tires, fork seals and alternator belt. still afraid to bleed brake. So, thats it, Any comments will be great!

I've found that mechanics often miss or ignor other problems besides the job they're working on. That's why I like to do all or most of my own wrenching. I often find other minor problems I can fix before they become major.

Replacing the paralever pivot bearings or re-torquing them isn't hard. The bearings nearest the FD often need replacing at your mileage. The front pair don't wear as much. Be sure to use red Locktite. Also, you can put Locktite on the pivot bearing carrier bolt and let it harden before torquing the large lock nut. That way, you don't change to torque on the main pivot carrier bolt while tightening the nut.

Al, thanks for your reply. Your right about mechanics and that is why I should be doing it my self, I looked thru the Clymers manual and it looks strait forward.

Back