• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Steering Damper Socket Thing

jforgo

I have a '78 RS with the Stabilus steering damper cartridge. The cartridge has lots of damping left. But the end piece which goes on the little ball on the lower triple will not stay put. This of course makes it impossible to put the PITA clip on as well. While I was able to detach the socket piece from the cartridge, my parts book does not show this as a separate item. Does anyone know where to get just this end piece? The rest of the damper is good - seems not worth $100 for the whole thing just for that end piece. Also, what is actually the proper terminology for the piece I am seeking?

Last edited:
If you are talking about the small, round-shaped wire that secures the ball-end inside of the socket, I've bent a paper clip to serve the same purpose. If you are unsure of what shape it should be, there is an exact copy attached to the other end of the piston.

Do you mean the socket which is attached to the end of the shock rod? That piece screws on. What do you mean it wont stay in place.... if it wont stay on the ball it could be because the PITA clip is in the way or is not engaging properly? It should be a snug fit onto the ball, not quite a snap.

So, are you looking for the socket only? or am I guessing wrong?

If you are looking for the socket end, I do have one. I am redoing my /6, and the dampener is nfg. I have been thinking of putting in a friction dampener, like my /2 and the /5 have. I was going to put the little shock back in, but it doesn't work, I can certainly sacrifice a good part of it to someone who needs it!

PM me, and I can mail it to you.

Bob Peckham
Vero Beach FL

Back