• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Speedometer Calibration

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
On my 2016 R1200 GSA LC with the factory original tires, I noted that my speedo is 8 kph or 5 mph under my actual speed at 100 KPH or 60 MPH.

I've read "change your tire size"...no, since I am using what the bike came with or "they always read high"...no again, as I want to read my actual speed.

Looking at the Haynes manual, I take it it gets the speed from the ABS wheel sensor, through the ABS Control Unit and possbily though the ECU. The wiring diagrams are vague in that they just show the Instrument Cluster and not what part of it it controls.

In the past on other vehicles, I was about to calibrate the speedo using a diagnostic tool...adding or subracting percentages for the speedo.

I have found nothing on the internet in the short time I looked last night. Will dig a bit more unless someone has a solution.

Before you adjust anything, test the accuracy of the odometer. Find somewhere where you can start/stop over a 5 mile distance (using mile posts) and see if your ODO is accurate.

Before you adjust anything, test the accuracy of the odometer. Find somewhere where you can start/stop over a 5 mile distance (using mile posts) and see if your ODO is accurate.
I am comparing it to the GPS in the BMW Navigator V.

Although I bought this GSA new in 2016, I never gave it much thought simply because my Navigator V has the map selected on it all the time. The other day, I switched over to the multi-data screen and noted the GPS speed.

The next time I am out, I'll do a 20+ mile run and check the odometer on the highway.

If indeed actual speed exceeds the speedometer indicated speed that is exceedingly unusual. Usually actual speed is 3 to 5 mph less than the speedo is showing.

I never gave it much thought simply because my Navigator V has the map selected on it all the time. The other day, I switched over to the multi-data screen and noted the GPS speed.
Speed is always showing on my Nav V map display. I don't remember if other values can display in that spot.

I've never heard of a calibration function being available to GS-911 or other scan tool available to consumer, BMW shop tool may be able to do this. I believe that no matter what you do, you will not be able to get the GPS and speedometer readings to sync, both have inherent inaccuracies, gps is prone to signal lag, and speedometers are subject to tire pressures, wear etc. Good luck either way be interested in how you make out.

I believe that no matter what you do, you will not be able to get the GPS and speedometer readings to sync, both have inherent inaccuracies, gps is prone to signal lag, and speedometers are subject to tire pressures, wear etc. Good luck either way be interested in how you make out.

On the first part, of course not since they are completely different systems on the motorcycle. They are not linked.

As for the second part, on level ground and in a straight line and at a constant speed (maintained by the cruise control), a GPS is dead accurate. The tire is the same size and brand/model as was fitted by BMW and I just installed it, so zero wear and at BMW recommended 2.5 bar.

As for the other comments by members, yes I realize they all read high, but on my Acura and Porsche, they are dead on.

I have seen plug-in modules but for all other motorcycles except BMW that you can calibrate.

Back