• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Speedo and tach needles without illumination 08 K1200GT

k12junky

Hello out there.
Has anyone had issues with unlit speed and tachometer needles? The cluster lights right up but no illuminated needles.
Local dealership said there are no bulbs lighting them, it must be wiring connection.
Any help appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, k12junky! I'm not familiar enough with these bikes...has this been a problem as long as you've owned the bike? It will be interested to see what other owners have to say.

Welcome K12:wave

I had to go light up one to see. Odometer has a lit needle, the tach not on the white background.Assuming the needle is just refracting light from the backlight bulb

P1030161.jpg

from a K12 S, understand the GT is a bit different

Last edited:
Thank you for the welcome.

I purchased this 2008 K1200GT June 2016 from original owner who put 93,000 miles on it. Yes 93K.20160610_101959.jpg
The bike was in nearly flawless condition with full maintenance history from BMW dealership.
He achieved the 500K badge riding 4 airheads and this K12.
To answer 20774's question, the needles where not working when I purchased the bike.
I am assuming a cluster removal is in my future, any step by step info out there?
Thanks again.

The units are complete assemblies and only have one socket to connect to wiring harness. No external replaceable bulbs on these models, so surgery would be required to seperate the glued unit. The only repair kit option available is a lens and gasket.

I am sure someone has cracked one open before, but it is not part of the data on the service CD. I tried a quick run at Google and found nothing. I would suggest purchasing the factory CD-ROM if you plan on doing your own in depth wrenching on this model . Doing a plug change and valve check is a fairly big job on this model for an example. 93K is just nicely broken in:thumb

One other thought is there is an adjustment for the brightness of the cluster using one of the rubber buttons. If you have the owners manual it should address that adjustment.

Ask someone at Max BMW (New England area), Bob's BMW (Jessup, MD), and, heck, your local dealer. Duncan's Beemers <Duncan@duncansbeemers.com> has their heads screwed on right - bought a replacement pannier from them at a fair price and some useful commentary on salvaging parts from the old one.

Thank you all so much for your expertise and information.
The used cluster on ebay looks like a likely fix.

Thanks again

Back