• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

SiriusXM and the BMW Radio

skibumwi

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2016 R1200RT which came with the built in audio system and a one year trial of SiriusXM.

After activating the SiriusXM I notice that there are a LOT of channels that I will never listen to and I'm wondering if I can filter the stations that my radio lists to reduce the time spent scrolling to a channel that interests me. I called Sirius about this and was told they did not offer the feature but I'm not sure the "helpers" knew what they were talking about.

Anyone have a work around or suggestions?

Thanks,
Ski

There is a mem button on the right of the RT I suspect strongly this has something to do with channel selection. I've pushed it a couple of times, not intuitive so I'm going to have to read the manual. Just hadn't got to it yet.

The issue isn't with Sirius. They provide all of the channels. The filtering process depends on the receiver you have, and there are many. They have various numbers of 'presets' or 'favourites' for you to set up, just like your car radio. Find a few stations you enjoy, set your presets and away you go. Sorry - can't be more specific about your bike's set-up. You'll have to RTFM (read the free manual), or wait for another helpful member to chime in with detailed instructions.

The issue isn't with Sirius. They provide all of the channels. The filtering process depends on the receiver you have, and there are many. They have various numbers of 'presets' or 'favourites' for you to set up, just like your car radio. Find a few stations you enjoy, set your presets and away you go. Sorry - can't be more specific about your bike's set-up. You'll have to RTFM (read the free manual), or wait for another helpful member to chime in with detailed instructions.
"free" - LOL

I've had a lot of experience with SiriusXM as it's in two of ours cars and one motorcycle. In addition, I use it in the house because the SiriusXM Internet Radio Service is part of the free year on my 2015 RT. That's going to expire in about three weeks, so I'll have to negotiate with SiriusXM about keeping the service in the house.

Here are a couple of suggestions I have for anyone who has gotten the free year as a result of his/her RT or other BMW purchase:

1) establish an account with SiriusXM. DO NOT give them any credit card information, because they'll surely ask for it.

2) ask how to use the Internet Radio Service so that you can listen to anything on the service through your computer, iPhone, iPad, Android phone, etc. etc. It's part of the introductory year and you're entitled to it.

3) when that free year is over, they'll want you to renew. In my case, I think it's not the best thing for a motorcycle, but that's me. However, if you really like it and want to keep it, you must remember the most important financial rule: "every transaction is an opportunity for negotiation." Sirius XM would hope to keep you as a subscriber for some remarkable figure. Anyone can do some research and find that it's common for subscribers to pay $100 a year or substantially less for a five-month period (as an example: $25). They won't offer the low figure right away, you'll have to negotiate for it.

4) as to your question about locking in particular SiriusXM stations, you'll find your answer on page 30 of one of the manuals you should have received with your RT. Here's a photo of the one which came with my 2015 RT:

IMG_3150.jpg

I hope this is helpful...

John

Back