• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Shift pedal position

kzilla

HELLO TO ALL. And thanks to everyone who posts. Even the folks who are wrong. Where would we be without clarity....?

I am a new owner of a used 2000 R1100RT. Love it. Love it. Love. It. Did I say I love...never mind. Other BMW was an 85 100rs (convert to C handle bars) I loved that bike as well. I am just getting over its demise slowly, best not to dwell on it.

I have been reading thread after thread getting acqainted with the ups and downs of this bike and I too have a clutch question. I have practiced with some success pre-loading and shifting at 4k+ rpms to minimize the K-bang of the gears (yes from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd, 3-4 and 4-5 shift smoothly). I saw one mention of lowering the pedal position.

Can someone give me the instructions on this. I see one hex bolt with an empty location for lowering. The space the bolt it in is the upper hour-glass position of this shape. Or an Osmosis shape or a super-nova shape. Anyway two round shapes merged creating a figure 8. Got it. I could go on....

I have other questions, but until I exhaust the searching i won't restart a potential old thread.

IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HEAR FROM OILHEAD OWNERS IN THE HUDSON VALLEY REGION. :beer

BEA-MER-CON

Last edited:
Not much action on this thread for a new guy. :dunno

Welcome to the club :wave

I'd concentrate more on the throttle position and timing between road speed and RPM and just ride the thing until you find the sweet spot anywhere in the range. That is unless the shift lever was moved up by the previous owner and you are lifting your foot off the pegs to make any shifts.

If so, and I'm not entirely sure of the RT linkage but there is a little circlip that holds the balljoints on. Just pull that with some needlenose pliers and then pull the balljoint off the top, then make the proper adjustment then re-attach in reverse order.

They are clunky, and you will miss shifts from time to time, but overall - if you have the right touch with the throttle (500+/- RPM drop) and enough upward pressure on the shift lever it will smoothly shift without using the clutch. Although that is up to you.

Have fun, Ride Safe.

Welcome...:wave

If you adjust the position, you need to be sure the lever doesn't hit the end of the slot at either end of the travel. Due to this, you'll find there is not much actual adjustment range.

Back