• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ROT in CENTEX

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Our version of Daytona-Sturgis is going this weekend based east of Austin. The Republic of Texas Rally...yeah:banghead

Rode in with H this morning passing lines of folks headed west to the hills. Already seeing many a sun burnt rider and minimal gear...but it's about personal freedoms as mentioned in news articles. I'm back at the house until Monday! Too many large groups of limited seat time folks spells headaches out our way.

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Moto...Rally---ROT-Rally---2016#sthash.BrZRn7jS.dpbs

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/157282098-story

Largest paid attendance motorcycle event they claim...Many more that don't pay the grounds admission.

ROT WOW! "In 2014, there were 200 motorcycle crashes during the event" :banghead

Looks like this place has many of the attributes to satisfy MOA Rally requirements - no?

ROT WOW! "In 2014, there were 200 motorcycle crashes during the event" :banghead

Looks like this place has many of the attributes to satisfy MOA Rally requirements - no?

Yes it does, could have more shaded areas,but it works. I have not been out to the event center in a few years, but imagine the trees are growing larger. Lot's of hotels within 30 miles as well.
Only gripe here is by July the average temps are up for some folks tastes. The MOA rally was in Fredericksburg, west of Austin, many years back...the only TX attempt...unusual monsoon that year...no heat gripes...just too much rain for all I hear.

Yeah, some years the accidents just go off the chart...the hills and curvy roads some folks never have ridden thru cause many an off road excursion. It's pretty scary watching some riders...then they add alcohol and it goes to stupid fast. I can hear packs of them way out on US281 endlessly today and we are a few miles away.
I hope it isn't one of those years...but know better.

I would love to have a Texas destination for a MOA rally - climate data doesn't look so bad with July the driest month on average.

Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 12.04.43 PM.png

There is going to be a MOA Weekend Getaway in Marble Falls in mid November I believe...perfect weather and location for an event here...but maybe too late for many trying to come on down.

At least Texas is on the map again:thumb

This may not have ended well...look at sidestand:whistle
HD's do not have interlocks.

KIMG1143.jpg

Local news did not cover as much as prior years...hopefully meant less incidents.

We went to a memorial service in the truck and saw all sorts of dumb moves headed into San Antonio yesterday as folks were headed home...Lot's of red skin!
I must be getting to old status as I don't get the higher than your head ape hangers...or the handling characteristics we saw them providing in traffic. Sunburnt pits:scratch :laugh

Many unwise behaviors provide their own punishment... self-correcting behaviors to some degree. When I see a guy riding at 80 MPH on a local interstate with ape hangers, no helmet, muscle shirt and only sun glasses I think how miserable I would be riding in such garb. It especially hits home when my head jerks back because I was hit in the visor by a large, juicy and surprisingly hard bug. To each their own.

The best motorcycle rally in Texas occurs in April when MotoGP comes to Circuit of the Americas.

Matter of Opinion...

The best motorcycle rally in Texas occurs in April when MotoGP comes to Circuit of the Americas.

As a Texan who's been fortunate to live beyond its borders at various times in my life, IMHO "the best motorcycle rally in Texas" occurs in New Mexico!

I won't say I'm a fast learner - I tried camping in Texas twice in the summer, over thirty-five years ago. The word "miserable" comes to mind..

Back