• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding in the Wind with 18 Wheelers...please share your thoughts....

High bridges

My buddy Keith and I were coming back from Daytona to NC in a driving rain and wind that started at the GA line. We stopped in Charleston, SC for a bite to eat and the wind was howling and the rain was coming in sheets. Keith was ready for a motel, but I was ready to get home. He was on his GSA, I was riding my old R100RT. Both were doing OK, but I knew the big bridges in Charleston were going to be tough. We slowed our pace until a semi went by and then we shifted to his leeward side and paced him across the bridges. He knew what we were doing and tried to keep his rig from blowing into our lane. Sometimes large trucks are beneficial. Wind and rain do not tire me as much as temps above 100 though.

I think it's because the boxer motor keeps a lot of the weight close to the ground. Never ridden a GS but my RT is really good in strong winds.

On that basis, the higher CG (to provide ground clearance) of the GS should be detrimental relative to an RT or RS (RIP). But, if you consider the frontal area of bike and the rider, the GS should present a lot more area for that turbulent flow to impact. As such, it would seem reasonable to expect higher unsteady loads with the GS.

A W/S discussion on ADV about air turbulence had this link to MRA's info: www.mra.de/en

Tip- dig into FAQ's on above link to get to the "air turbulence info."
The ADV discussion is centered on the G650GS series and various heights of W/S's vs. body size.
FWIW, I find that that MC handles air around trucks as well as did larger MC's I've ridden other than lighter weight causes more "jiggle". As for forces of wind alone seems pretty good to me.

A W/S discussion on ADV about air turbulence had this link to MRA's info: www.mra.de/en

Tip- dig into FAQ's on above link to get to the "air turbulence info."
The ADV discussion is centered on the G650GS series and various heights of W/S's vs. body size.
FWIW, I find that that MC handles air around trucks as well as did larger MC's I've ridden other than lighter weight causes more "jiggle". As for forces of wind alone seems pretty good to me.

I reviewed the FAQ section and that info considers the turbulence of the windscreen slipstream flow relative to the rider. As such, it seems to be a logical description.

Relative the original posting, the subject of larger scale turbulence from gusting winds and 18-wheeler wakes should result in full vehicle/rider buffeting. In that case, projected frontal or profile area would seem to be a logical determinant of unsteady forces on the vehicle.

I too have found my GS handles the wind and buffeting very well compared to any of the inline four bikes I have owned.
I think the direction of the crank shaft and the gyroscopic effect of the fly wheel has something to do with it.
That being said, riding behind or passing a truck, van, or motor home just stinks!

Found crosswinds very iffy on my 2011 1200gs, with the vario bags attached, in strong gusts I had to fall in behind the 18 wheelers, more than once I found myself in another lane when a gust hit. My 1600gt doesn't know what a cross wind is, much more aerodynamic. Riding 395 north from Carson city through Reno a couple months ago very high winds, trucks, trailors and RV's banned. Bike felt rock solid at reasonable speeds, although I had a good lean angle going with 60mph crosswinds
Wouldn't want to do it all day long for sure

Back