• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

rear brake screaming... warranty?

samuelh

My rear brake started squealing horribly at about 10,000 miles. I had a change of pads in there, but it didn't help. Bike now has 15k, and is still under warranty. Is this something I just have to live with, or can it be fixed? If fixable, is it something that should be covered by the warranty?

Thanks
SH

They have rear brakes????

I doubt it is covered, it is an annoyance but VERY common. The noise is GENERALLY caused by vibration that make the pad/piston interface rub rapidly (think cricket legs) together.

Applying some anti squeal compound to the back of the pad may help, see your local auto parts store.

Yes take it in.
It is under Warranty. Don't try and fix it yourself, it may void the warranty. :nono

You CAN"T void a warranty by doing your own work. No they will not fix it if you screw it up, but if you do service work properly, warranty is still in effect, it is the LAW!

You CAN"T void a warranty by doing your own work. No they will not fix it if you screw it up, but if you do service work properly, warranty is still in effect, it is the LAW!

I did not want to imply that the total warranty would be void.
But if you don't do the work properly or make non stock changes those parts that you worked on or changed are not covered by the warranty.

You paid for the warranty with the price of the bike, take it to a BMW dealer.

One more thing, at Montgomeryville Cycle the BMW demo truck is going to be there next week.

http://www.montgomeryvillecc.com/eventslist.htm?groupId=29168&itemId=88365

I got the flier. Planning on going on Wednesday if the weather is nice. Maybe I'll just trade in the bike ;)

So what model bike is this? It could be cured by a thorough cleaning of the disk and the calipers and both sides of the pads. Disk Brake Quiet might help. Since it is under warranty at least let the dealer say Yes or No. If "no" you can go from there.

It's a G650GS. They changed the brake pads on it a few thousand miles ago. The noise attenuated a little bit, but didn't go away completely, now its back at full howl. I'm not real mechanical, and I don't really have a place where I can work on the bike, so it's something I'd have to have the dealership do. They didn't seem to think it was worth it the last time I was there, and I figured I could live with it. I ride a lot in the city though, and stop and go traffic is about the speed that it is loudest.

I have a full shop and I have brake pad quieting spray as well as disc abrasives to clean the disc. Make a trip to Raleigh and I'll fix you up in under 2 hours.

It's a G650GS. They changed the brake pads on it a few thousand miles ago. The noise attenuated a little bit, but didn't go away completely, now its back at full howl. I'm not real mechanical, and I don't really have a place where I can work on the bike, so it's something I'd have to have the dealership do. They didn't seem to think it was worth it the last time I was there, and I figured I could live with it. I ride a lot in the city though, and stop and go traffic is about the speed that it is loudest.

I have the same bike. Mine makes a little noise sometimes. I have had several K75s that did the same thing. I can make it go away for 10,000 miles or so by thoroughly blowing around the disks and pads and calipers with compressed air, brake sysem cleaner, air, cleaner, air, etc. Once the dust is completely romoved they get quiet but then the noise slowly comes back over time.

rear brake noise on a F650GS/G650GS is common. you can try a different set of pads, cleaning the disk or applying anti seize to the back side of the pads. sometimes one or all of these things will work, sometimes not.

you can always tell your SO when she hears that squeal when you pull into the garage it means your done riding for the day and she should bring you a cold beverage.

you can always tell your SO when she hears that squeal when you pull into the garage it means your done riding for the day and she should bring you a cold beverage.

My SO reminded me the beverages are IN the garage and that if I'd be so kind she would like one also.:laugh

Pad composition plays a role here too. I've found going to a full organic pad (no metal in the compound) helps.

BMW stock brake pads are known to squeal! You can take the pad off and try cleaning the pads with brake cleaner as well as the rotors and that may help some but most likely won't correct the issue.

You can try EBC or Galfer brake pads and it can solve the problem. I know I have used both EBC and Galfer brake pads and my brakes do not squeal like the BMW brake pads did.

I also have had a friend who has used Galfer brake pads and they squealed on his bike and he sent them to me and they didn't on mine so basically ymmv on different types of brake pads.

On a situation like this, I doubt very seriously BMW will correct the issue... I am not saying they won't do it under warranty but is just known that stock BMW brake pads squeal.

Think of it this way... cars will hear you and that will make note that you are there when braking... possibly a safety feature in a way? Yes, I know it can be very annoying nonetheless...

Something I thought about too... you may want to try sanding the rotors and brake pads too on top of using brake cleaner on both...

Have had this problem on my G650GS, it is very annoying. My dealer noted that it is a known problem and not really covered under warranty as the brakes do actually work. They said this nicely, not in a f-u kind of way, but still... I finally saved up enough money for the bike, I expect it to be a bit quieter!

They found some glazing on the brake pad and so ground that off and the sound went away for a while. When the sound returned I did some aggressive braking to rough up the surface myself and that did actually seem to help. I also tried to change the way I brake from the slow/light to the somewhat more aggressive (but still safe) style, and I don't have much trouble with noise anymore. At this point it seems like it has more to do with damp/cold conditions and goes away after the bike has been running a while.

Will look into a non-BMW pad when I replace these.

PS - did have a serious rear-brake seize up last summer, all covered by warranty... wonder if the two are related.

Back