• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R90/6 - update and questions!

thomhplatt

Hey guys! So I've already posted a couple times on here but I thought I'd take the morning to update you on the R90 project... Plus I have a couple questions to help me move forward.

When I got the bike it had been neglected and left untouched for 25 years - she was dirty and missing a number of parts. Over the last few weeks I've managed to source most of the parts, but I'm still missing a couple (small) things. I've also done a DEEP clean, changing the filters and as many gaskets as I can. I also decided to fire her up for the first time in 2 decades, and wouldn't you know it she ran like a top. The carbs need some adjusting but I am very pleased overall. I'll attach some pictures.

My first question is regarding the front turn signal brackets/mounts. Based on some information I read on this forum, I think I may have got the wrong type... My bike was built in 03/75, and I bought a set of old chrome brackets. Not sure if those are *correct* but I do prefer the look of the chrome with the Havana Gold paint. Anyhow, I am taking apart the front end over the next couple days I'm wondering if having the metal brackets on a 03/75 bike will change how I wire and ground the signals? Also, I just want to confirm that the 32(?)mm centre nut has to be removed to install these brackets, and torqued to 70bs/ft upon rebuilding?

My second question is regarding the Master Cylinder. I went ahead and tried bleeding the lines but the valve in my calliper was so seized it just snapped in half! I am debating wether I should try to get the rest out, or just buy a new calliper. Same deal with the actual MC. It looks as if it was leaking - all the paint has bubbled and flaked away. However, the plunger seems to be in good shape, as well as the interior of the MC. I was planning on rebuilding it, and repainting it but I guess I'm just looking for some advice here... I've read countless debates about under the tank MC vs handle mounted, but my initial feeling is to keep it stock.

Thanks in advance for any input/ideas/suggestions!

Thomas

A couple shots of the bike, and one of the interior of the MC. Not totally sure what the actual nomenclature is sorry folks!

Attachments

• 08D76D80-C5DD-4A93-9254-CCBA5C626AA3.jpeg
    08D76D80-C5DD-4A93-9254-CCBA5C626AA3.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 9492C6C0-8D5E-4DC6-ADEA-805EEEBE2DB5.jpeg
    9492C6C0-8D5E-4DC6-ADEA-805EEEBE2DB5.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 78EA3223-5C4E-47A3-8C90-C58606F34D55.jpeg
    78EA3223-5C4E-47A3-8C90-C58606F34D55.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 95
Thomas -

Hard to tell what the situation is with the master cylinder...looks pretty clean down the bore. There's a pressure transducer on the opposite end. I think you'd be able to remove that...probably should replace it anyway if you're going this far...and then see what it would take to drive anything stuck out of the bore. Maybe using a wooden dowel to lightly tap things along.

Thanks! I’ll start rebuilding and cleaning up the MC in a couple days.... in the meantime, I’m having a lot of trouble getting the steering column nut loose. Any suggestions? And why’d they make it so hard to get the indicator mounts on/off!

Chrome brackets are correct. There are two types of brackets. A standard length stem for mounting just the pod and an extended version for use with the "S" style fairing. Either will work without the fairing.
The harness piece that goes out to the light pod should have two wires each; one for ground (brown) and one for hot (green/red or green/blue).
As long as there is no pitting in the bore of the m/c then a light hone and a rebuild kit should work. The kit from BMW will have all that you need.
If you do have pitting in the bore then it would save you some money and time to have the bore sleeved with stainless steel. Mark Frappier is the go to guy for that. (800)- 528-5235 If he's still in business.

Check the link in my signature line for other options for master cylinder sleeving.

Just a thought
Before you get the wild hair to go ride the thing, take a look at the tires, you don't want to have accident.
Tires get old and hard and thats not a good thing.
Nick

Back