• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R850R Throttle Body

IcanDance2

Icandance2
I recently had an annual service performed on my 1996 R850R.
I was told by a mechanic that the throttle bodies started to wear out and I would need to replace them after another 10,000 miles.
I purchased the bike new and its milage is about 20,000 miles.
I think it is premature for these throttle bodies to wear out within 20,000 miles. Has anyone had a similar experience or any ideas?
Thanks.

The throttle bodies wear. The throttle plate shafts wear and the holes the shaft goes in wear. 20K miles is pretty short - but he did say you could get to 30K. I've replaced a couple at about 40K and one at about 50K.

It depends a bit on how you ride the bike. Running down the highway or the slab at a fairly constant speed is a lot different than riding around town, commuting in traffic, or running through a lot of twisties. The latter will of course cause much earlier throttle shaft wear since it is rotating a lot more.

That said - "they shouldn't wear" but they do. Blame Bing.

Back