• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

r75/5 transmission rear cover

jbarneshb

I had to remove the rear cover of my r75/5 transmission in order to retighten one of the shift fork pivot bolts. I cleaned the two surfaces and used a new gasket but upon reassembly and installation it now leaks at the gasket. The cover and transmission gasket surfaces looked good but the last person who worked on it had used a gasket sealant on the gasket when reassembled. I hate to use it but I dislike oil leaks more so I'm going to take it out and redo it with gasket sealant. Any recommendation for this type of application. Thanks

Are you familiar with BMW motorcycle transmissions? Once you took that rear cover off everything changed, especially the shimming and clearances. If you aren't completely sure what you are doing, stop NOW before you do some expensive and possibly fatal damage.

I would suggest reaching out to the Airheads Beemer Club, www.airheads.org for some assistance. California is home to many highly skilled airheads willing to share their knowledge and help. And you will find a neat group to ride with and participate in many activities. Club founder lives in San Diego area, but we are international in scope.

Friedle
ABC BoD

Well it seems to work pretty good inspite of being apart. I'm going to apply some sealant and try again. If anyone has any advice about what to use, I'd appreciate it.

I'd echo what Friedle said. With a different type of sealant used now, that will change some of the dimensions.

But if you want to try a sealant, I'd probably use the same thing that is used on the cylinder base during a top end overhaul. Things like Hylomar, Permatex Ultra Gray, Dreibond, etc.

Well it seems to work pretty good inspite of being apart. I'm going to apply some sealant and try again. If anyone has any advice about what to use, I'd appreciate it.

Make sure both surfaces are clean and flat. Best to warm the cover some, 200 deg is fine. I normally put the cover on with a dry gasket but is sealant is needed use Gaskacinch. Available at auto parts stores. If you still have a leak the cover is not flat.

Resealed rear cover gasket with gasgacinch and it appears to be holding. Have ridden and let it cool down a couple of times with no leaks.

Back