• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R11RT tank bag Q pls

the Wizard of Oz
Recently purchased a used 2000 R11RT (loving it) and snagged a used BMW tank bag to go along with. However, I'm not certain about the elasticised front mounting straps. I recall from my prvious R11RT that they hooked pretty easily to "something" up the just at the front of the tank, :gergbut this one seems to have no place other than under the front edge of the painted bodywork part of the top front of the tank. The metal hooks at the ends of the straps will be sitting against/rubbing on the paint if it's mounted there.

das ist korrect?:scratch
danke

There should be some leather tabs, that sit inside of the hooks that hook around the front of the tank.

if your bag is made for a 1100RT, it should have a metal clip on each side in the front to hook your hooks in. on the front of the tank just below the painted area should be a bolt on each side to mount the clips to. if you don't have clips, check with the person you purchased the bag from. they may have forgotten to give them to you...

Might as well find another bag. I bought a BMW tank bag with my '99 RT. A pair of little clips come with the bag and are installed as described above. However, the elastic straps have almost completely disintegrated with age, and I've been unable to find a fix. I've gotten several suggestions sometime back from this board to take it to 1.) a leatherworks shop, 2.) an awning shop, or 3.) someone who does vinyl auto interior work. No luck. No one wants to touch it. Besides, the BMW bag isn't as versatile as some others that have, for example, exterior pockets for little stuff.

if your bag is made for a 1100RT, it should have a metal clip on each side in the front to hook your hooks in. on the front of the tank just below the painted area should be a bolt on each side to mount the clips to. if you don't have clips, check with the person you purchased the bag from. they may have forgotten to give them to you...

Absolutely correct replacement hooks can be bought at your local BMW dealer. The elastic bands can (mine are) be replaced with similar size straps and plastic buckles to which the bag side hooks are attached.

Let me know if you donÔÇÖt get this figured out and I can take photos of what you need.

"<i>The elastic bands can (mine are) be replaced with similar size straps and plastic buckles to which the bag side hooks are attached.</i>"

Who performed the fix? I know you can get standard 1" elastic at any sewing goods place, but I haven't had any luck finding someone to make it happen.

http://www.ebbo.org/tank_bag.php

Check out this web site good photos of bag and attachments. My elastics were cut off a D ring attached to bag by sewing a piece of leather with the ring sandwiched between where the elastics had been attached. A nylon strap then replaces the elastic with plastic adjustable buckles to tighten the straps.

I really think I would see if an upholstery shop could replace the elastic first. The steady pull of the elastic may be better than adjusting the straps at gas stops.

Hope this helps.

However, the elastic straps have almost completely disintegrated with age, and I've been unable to find a fix. I've gotten several suggestions sometime back from this board to take it to 1.) a leatherworks shop, 2.) an awning shop, or 3.) someone who does vinyl auto interior work. No luck. No one wants to touch it.

LindaT at customtankbags.com replaced the elastic on my RS's Multivario, and I didn't even have to whimper. Nice work, too.

Back