• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R1150RT Extra Luggage Needed

wilcox

Wilcox
Looking for suggestions for a tank bag and for weatherproof duffles to strap over our factory 1150RT side bags. We're going two up in October for our first Beemer trip.
My rear tour pack plus the side bags won't haul as much as my old Krauser bags on the old Suzuki GS1000 we've ridden in the past. Any ideas are appreciated. I checked out the Marcee Corona tank bag but would consider a strapped tank bag.

Ortleib has some nice waterproof duffle bags. They also have a waterproof tank bag. I have the duffle and two sets of the large panniers, but not hte tank bag. Good stuff, the duffle will survive a fall from the bike at 70 mph, southbound I-5 in Seattle, along with being winged by a couple of passing vehicles. Don't ask me how I know this....................... :whistle

Aerostich sells some of their stuff, or you can get through Ortliebs website.

Duffel bags

I have used the Helen 2 Wheels clothes bags with her straps for mounting on top of my system cases on my R1100RT. These are water proofed and work perfectly.
For a tank bag I would recommend the RKA lineup. I use there large one and it has been on the bike for the last five years. I just moved it to the R1200RT with no problems.

Are you camping ? Big difference in packing. My wife and I have always camped,always been 2up,she has no desire to ride her own.I agree the RKA tankbag is great.On my R1100RT I use the allen screws in front of the tank to hold the front straps on. I burned a hole in the strap with a hot nail and put the screw with a small washer on it to hold each strap.It stays put It also stays dry with the raincover. Second,I find the Top box USELESS!We usually put dry bags on the rear rack,and strap em down tight. It`s amazing how much you can put in those things when you hold the top and push stuff in with your foot. We also use the tops of the saddlebags as much as possible for the heavy stuff like tents,and stuff like tools and cooking stuff goes down low in the saddlebags.You can`t see anything with the stock rearview mirrors,so I got a set of aftermarket HD ones to put on the bars like a GS has.

What about getting the larger BMW case lids? That will give you more storage room.

I have a set for sale

Large lids for system cases used for one trip. For sale due to purchase of new bike. If you are interested, send me a PM.

Last edited:
Bags

Hello, can't offer help on the tank bag, but saw the silver colored waterproof bags at the dealer made for the GS Adventure. Nice bags and they hold a lot.

Have fun on your trip and watch out for drivers.

Randy Kasal

+1 for Big mak. I have one and it is the best tank bag I have owned! I love the ease with which you can gas up.

Many thanks

Thanks all for some great ideas. We aren't camping on this trip since our friends/relatives are strategically located in Charlotte, Statesboro, Hilton Head and coastal NC. The Ortlieb stuff looks good. We also have an Iron Pony store here in town. They do a huge online business but it's nice to see and touch, lot's of bikers make Iron Pony a stop while passing through central Ohio. Time to check out some of these ideas since we are 30 days from departure. We get new treads next week! Can't wait.

Do not pass up checking out Cabela's dry bags. Good price, quality, and money back if not satisfied. We use them on regular camping trips, on the bikes and as boat bags. Several shapes and sizes.

You can go to Cabela's web site-then camping section-then under heading of luggage; packs and you can view bags under waterproof heading.

Have traveled for years with the backpack waterproof version, nice as straps are convenient when hicking or going into occational hotel. The cylinder type may be best for side bags and i have used these for tents and sleeping bags. All arrive 100% dry.

Good luck

Thanks Bernie & Helen

Thanks to Bernie Echt's suggestion I picked up medium clothes sacks from Helen2wheels. Shopping is half the fun but packing up and heading out will be better, anticipation...

Back