• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Quick trip...Colorado to Kansas

piperjim

With this big storm pushing in from the west, I decided to take a quick weekend trip from southern Colorado to southwest Kansas. I left Saturday morning with sunshine and about 50 degrees.

I went south on I-25 to Trinidad and then, just for kicks, on south to Raton, NM. I visited the NRA Whittington Center, south of Raton, and then to Sugarite Canyon State Park just northeast of Raton. This is rated as one of the most scenic state parks in NM, but being cheap, I didn't pay the $5 fee to go in.

From Raton I went over Johnson Mesa (25 miles across this mesa with freezing temps and a huge wind of the northwest). It was a raw ride! I dropped off the Mesa, went through Folsom NM (home to the archaeological find known as "Folsom Man"), on to Clayton NM, before turning east to hit Guymon, OK and finally up to Meade KS. It was about a 360 mile trip. I stopped twice to put liners in and take liners out!! It hit 75 degrees in Meade that afternoon.

I arrived in Meade just at dark and as my fuel warning light came on! Good time to fill up the bike, and myself, before hitting the bed at the Moon Mist Motel.
Meade's claim to fame is it's connection to the infamous Dalton Gang of the 1880's.
It evidently offers some good pheasant hunting as the hotel was packed with hunters.

During the night, the weather changed dramatically. I woke up Sunday morning to a temperature of 21 degrees!!! I put on everything I had and headed west to home in Colorado. The wife said the sun was shining there at home, so I was hoping to hit the sunshine soon.

I was taking another route home, deciding initially to travel west across Hwy 160. At Ulysses, KS I stopped at McDonald's to get some breakfast and thaw out!! My hands were like ice!! As I pulled up there, a nice guy stopped to chat. When I told him where I was headed, he suggested I take another route. Seems that Hwy 160 across southern Colorado, east of the mountains, is pretty darn desolate. He said I wouldn't have cell coverage for much of the route, plus it wasn't as well-maintained as his suggested alternative of Hwy 50.

So, I decided to take his advice and turned north to Hwy 50 and then west to I-25.

The Kansas Highway Dept folks had already been out spraying bridges and curves with the solution they use prior to a snow. The weather continued very cloudy, and in some cases foggy, until I approached I-25.

I saw some interesting sights along the way, enjoyed a great ride (although a very cold ride), and returned home safely!!

The pictures include the NRA Whittington Center, Sugarite Canyon State Park, shots of the "stone fence posts", actually wire cylinders filled with rocks that serve as "anchors" for long runs of ranch fencing in areas where trees are too scarce, and shots of all the "Welcome to XX State" that I passed. I hit Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas and back to Colorado in the weekend trip.

http://picasaweb.google.com/PRTJim/KansasBikeTripJan2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCOr448Ty073GuwE#

Thanks,
piperjim

I'm jealous - wish it was warm enough here for me to take a trip. Might be warm enough for others, just not enough for me.

Thanks for posting.

Nice ride.

Like everybody else, I enjoy riding twisty roads. But sometimes, I like 'em straight. It is so relaxing to ride the long stretches of open road. Especially with the heated gear keeping me toasty.:stick

:wave
Tom

Looked quite nice to me, all tha sun and dry roads, YES! Thanks for the ride report and photos.

Looks like you rode through a good portion of the Oklahoma panhandle. The great thing about the panhandle is you can see for miles and miles and there are no trees and such for a leo to hide behind.

Next time you should stop and take a pic of Boise City OK, the only town in the continental states to be bombed during WWII... though there is some argument... because the truth is it was a U.S. training exercise dropping bags of flour (though in the wrong spot)... but why discredit a nice little town's only claim to fame...

Thanks for sharing...

Pedro in OKC

Back