• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Princess Auto 800 lbMotorcycle Lift for Canadians

KenDittrick

Rocky Bow BMW Riders #197
I saw this lift referenced in a Harbor Freight thread but decided to create a new one for this particular lift made for Power Fist. As member 179411 noted the P/N 8668071 is currently on sale for $375 CAD. Since I live a mere 4Km from a Princess Auto outlet I am keenly interested in it's viability. A couple questions for those who have purchased this unit (picture below):

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 7.50.50 AM.jpg

- The lift appears to have very small castors on the bottom - any issues with these - especially if leveling is required? Replace castors with feet?
- How does one use a unit like this if the slope of the garage floor is very noticeable? My garage slopes down 4" in a 20' run which in practice causes many things to roll out the door pretty quickly and I have visions of a lift with motorcycle zipping down my driveway into the street.:hungover

Isn't it a bit light in capacity? My KLT weighs 833...already over, my Victory is 750+ very close to capacity . I like a bit more buffer, than that.

Princess Auto does sell this one but is almost double the cost...

View attachment 60602

If one is patient, this lift goes on sale at Princess Auto. However, it does not seem as if P.A. puts their lifts on sale as frequently as Harbor Freight.

Ed, my lift is not a Princess Auto, but I was not happy that the lift was not perfectly level. A piece of 3/4" plywood under the back support bar ended the problem. Of course I never had any worries about the bike drifting backwards out of the garage to the street; just anal that the bike was not perfectly level while on the lift.

It has been mentioned in the recent Harbor Freight thread that someone put extensions on their lift with 2x10s. If I did not already have the side extensions, I certainly would be doing that. Maybe if I was taller and heavier, it wouldn't be a consideration. I know that when I ride up onto my lift, I simply brake, drop the side stand, put my feet down, dismount and then use the centre stand. The side extensions makes this an easy operation. One bike is always parked on the lift. I know that walking either bike onto the lift for me would not be a success story. Another option that I have seen a couple of mechanics use has been to put the bike into gear, feather the clutch and walk beside the bike as it climbs up onto the lift. I have a hunch how that would work out me. :laugh

My son bought the blue 800lb lift from Princess Auto on sale and is very pleased with it for the price. He has his 1981 Honda CB900 on the lift so the weight limit issue does not apply. As it will mostly be stationary, the casters are not important and I don't know if he has tried to move the lift around but he is fortunate to have a large garage so there is plenty of space. It seems to be very sturdy with the bike on the lift and the cut out for the rear wheel removal is a handy feature as well.
Worth a look for some but I am not sure I would be interested as my K1600 GT is close to the weight limit and I do like a comfortable weight " buffer" when I buy lifts etc
Bruce

Isn't it a bit light in capacity? My KLT weighs 833...already over, my Victory is 750+ very close to capacity . I like a bit more buffer, than that.

My 2008 R1200RT is spec'd with a wet weight of 571 lbs excluding accessories. That doesn't sound out of line for my use but am not into taking unreasonable risks.

Ken, I have a very similar or possibly the same Princess Auto unit (bought it a few years ago and it is yellow).

Works fine. I wouldn't put K1600 on it, but it is fine for my RT, Nortons, or Ducati. I like to stay close to 75% or less of capacity on things like this so my 610 lb RT is fine.

If you look closely you'll see there are two leveling feet that screw down from the front corners.

Back