• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Optimate 4 battery tender

nick1234

I'm sure this has been asked, but, is it better to connect the Optimate 4 battery tender using the CAN-bus or the Standard mode?

I use the CanBus mode in the rear powerlet socket and it works great. I have used the standard mode to rejuvenate some ATV batteries.

I use the CanBus mode in the rear powerlet socket and it works great. I have used the standard mode to rejuvenate some ATV batteries.
Seeing how you are using it both ways, how do you remember which mode it's set for Mike? I'm :gerg so I like switches :wave
Gary

It indicates the mode when you turn it on with a sequence of lights. I only take it out of CanBus when helping someone else with their battery. Then I switch it back for my RT.

Since I have a direct connection, I use it that mode. I figure the resistance is less and the charger can definitely use all of its modes.

It has never been clear to me that the charger can use all of its advanced modes via Canbus. At one time, I would have said it does not. On reading the manual again, it might but I am not sure.

Since I have a direct connection, I use it that mode. I figure the resistance is less and the charger can definitely use all of its modes.

It has never been clear to me that the charger can use all of its advanced modes via Canbus. At one time, I would have said it does not. On reading the manual again, it might but I am not sure.
I found the manual a bit "weak". Never been a fan of "touching the leeds together" :eek
om

It can't do the Turbo desulphation in CanBus. You have to have the battery disconnected and be in standard mode for that stage.

I'm sure this has been asked, but, is it better to connect the Optimate 4 battery tender using the CAN-bus or the Standard mode?

It is always "best" to charge the battery directly, instead of going through another system, just as it is always "best" to monitor battery voltage directly if you have a voltage monitor installed.

Back