• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Opinion- Driveshaft Bad ?

M

mtrewartha

Hi all-
I'm new to being a BMW Bike owner. I bought an 87 K100RT. Upon digging in the forums and reading about "The Spline Lube", I figured I would give it a shot. Took off the Final Drive and my jaw dropped upon seeing the Driveshaft. I am not even to the object of my project.
I would like to verify that this needs to be changed from some experienced K owners.

Thanks

Attachments

• K100 Driveshaft Project 002.jpg
    K100 Driveshaft Project 002.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 198
Yikes!

:violin

That's a pretty bad one - you should be able to find a good salvage rear unit for not too much money. Check the IBWR parts section and the flea market on the forum. You can also post a "parts wanted" on the IBMWR site for free.

Mating Splines?

The mating splines actually look pretty good. I could probably use some opinions on that also. I will try and post a pic in the next day or two.
Thanks all for your help.

Mating Splines on Final Drive

Ok- I had responded that they looked "pretty Good".
Upon looking at other posts and info, I am not so sure. Here is the pic.
Any opinions appreciated.

Attachments

• F_drive_spline.jpg
    F_drive_spline.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 91
Yep, Those are trashed! When you replace them, you should replace them both at the same time(driveshaft and final drive). Otherwise the worn spline will accelerate the wear on the new spline.

There are two companies, one in Oregon http://www.hansensmc.com/spline.html and one in Canada http://www.brunos.us/ that will repair the final drive splines. The one in Oregon requires that you buy a new driveshaft. The one in Canada has a repair for the driveshaft as well.

I bought a final drive off ebay with perfect splines for less than the cost of the final drive repair. But you have to REALLY examine the photos of the splines for nice crisp
square splines with no tapering and be sure it is the proper gear ratio.

Good final drives sell for less than $200. But good drive shafts are rarer than hen's teeth and sell for way too much (over $150) so I went to chicagobmwmotorcyle.com and bought a new one for $228 (list $285. They give %20 off on all parts)

:dance :dance :dance

Mark,

If you go the NEW driveshaft route, see my recent post on driveshafts.

If you go the used route, make sure you get the 20 spline shaft and final drive. Early K100s (before '86) had 16 splines. you don't want those.

I'm not sure what year they upgraded the universal in the driveshaft, but if you get a newer used driveshaft, you might have the same issue that I had with may new one, but no big deal.

:dance :dance :dance

Back