• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil, not just another thread

I know my bike has a chain tensioner. It's my 4th RT. I've got over 200K on RTs. Even transplanted a 2000 drive train into a '96 RT once...successfully!

I took a new GS out on a test ride and yes, the noise was louder. No secret to why. The RT has more plastic around the engine covering up some of the death rattle sounds.

The sound I'm talking about isn't at start up, it's at low to mid revs when gently accelerating. It's LC specific. It sounds like engine pre-ignition ping (knock), not like timing chains. I know it's "normal" because both demo bikes did it to some extent although the demo '18 RT seemed to be mostly immune. The bike I bought is a new '17. It's got this pinging noise...30mph in 2nd or 3rd gently accelerating. It's like the knock sensors constantly adjust advance but get confused during this very common riding condition. Not the end of the world, for sure. I'm touring in SE KY with it now. It's doing great. It's just that, otherwise, the smoothness of this engine's response is so perfect... It has more bark than my '05 and you can feel the vibes at higher revs but it's a big boxer motor. I'm used to that.

Aeroflow Tall screen & Sargent seat really work on these all-day rides. I think I need bar-backs. I want to sit back further on the bike but the bars have me leaned into them too much. Getting sore shoulders!

I used the Nav VI's "curvy road" setting all day today and yesterday. There are plenty of them down here. Just beautiful, but you have to be philosophical about your destination. I had left it on to go from motel to dinner tonight. Should be 2 miles. It was over 15! Beautiful roads but I was tired and hungry! Lesson learned.

I'm aiming for Maggie Valley, NC via "curvy roads" for tomorrow. It will take all day I may not make it, in fact. Who cares? I came down here to go riding. I found a back road out of Lexington that had a 3 car ferry...no charge. Great fun. Some of these roads look like golf cart paths. Seriously great roads from this device. I took a tour in the Alps with Edelweiss. That is the only comparable trip to this one. Edelweiss know all the tiny little Alpine roads.

Also helps that there was almost no traffic for 2 full days. It's like the rapture came and took all the traffic.

(sorry, for the bible belt reference...there's a lot o' thumpin' goin' on around here.)

:toast:
Experience the same sound of the "ping" you have described. Only noticed it when I took the bike out for a test ride after a farkle add and not wearing helmet etc. Just tooling along doing some the exact style accelerating you have described. Have a '16 with approx 21K.

Back