• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil Filter Change

na1g

na1g
Just putting the 2011 R1200RT to bed for the season with an oil/filter change, my first time with a BMW. I won't question why the drain plug uses a hex socket (Allen) when most everything else on the bike uses Torx. I even got the filter off with an old band clamp filter tool. Drain plug back in and torqued. Filled the new filter with oil and looked for tightening instructions. I love what it says on the filter: "...until gasket contacts... Tighten further by hand." How much is a "further". Could we a little more specific? Like a "tad" or a "smidge" or "good-n-tite"?

Anyway, a real spec (11 N-m) was easily found in the Tech SubForum for Hexhead DIY. Thank goodness for this forum and the good folks who post valuable information.

One last point. The filter gasket from the original filter stayed stuck on the engine and it took me a minute to figure out why the new filter would go on very far. Worth checking to old filter when it comes off to make sure the gasket is attached.

Happy Holidays all!

pete

I vote for hand tight, plus 1/2 turn with a wrench. I've not had one either stick or leak doing this.

Anyway, a real spec (11 N-m) was easily found in the Tech SubForum for Hexhead DIY. Thank goodness for this forum and the good folks who post valuable information.

It's also easily found in the factory service manual (on DVD). Why would anyone attempt maintenance on their bike without owning this?

Just a 2 cent add on
I write the appropriate size and torque value in the owners manual of all commonly used fittings engine,trans, final drive etc. Saves searching in the heat of battle.

I follow the advice I have seen on many oil filters over the years. "HAND TIGHTEN ONLY". I have done this with everything I have owned for the last 39 years and have never had a problem.

I follow the advice I have seen on many oil filters over the years. "HAND TIGHTEN ONLY". I have done this with everything I have owned for the last 39 years and have never had a problem.

That depends on how arthritic your old hands have become.

The hexhead filter gasket setup is pretty forgiving and the torque really isn't worth worrying about much. Get it on hand snug/tight and avoid the gorilla stuff so you don't accidentally break the connection and you'll be fine. Paul's + 1/2 is a good general guideline. I might have put a torque wrench on a filter some time just for curiosity but I sure don't do it regularly (unlike head bolts, etc)

I'll bet many of us have had that gasket stick when the filter was removed. It took me a few seconds the first time to realize it was left in place, too.

As Racer7 says, the gasket seems pretty forgiving since it is a lot thicker and softer than the gasket or O-ring found on other filters. "Hand tightening" is kinda hard, at least on the 2011 RT since you can't get much of a grip on it. Slip a filter wrench on it and it's a bit easier The special filter wrench will be my next purchase and it will join my ever-growing collection.

As a side note, lots of Honda ST1300 owners had trouble getting the original filter off their new bikes and resorted to some level of butchery, including driving a screwdriver through it for leverage. (Don't ask me how I know this.) :blush But at least it was a standard automotive filter, available anywhere.

So, dear Santa, that's a filter wrench, a service manual CD, and a short winter.

pete

As Racer7 says, the gasket seems pretty forgiving since it is a lot thicker and softer than the gasket or O-ring found on other filters. "Hand tightening" is kinda hard, at least on the 2011 RT since you can't get much of a grip on it. Slip a filter wrench on it and it's a bit easier The special filter wrench will be my next purchase and it will join my ever-growing collection.

As a side note, lots of Honda ST1300 owners had trouble getting the original filter off their new bikes and resorted to some level of butchery, including driving a screwdriver through it for leverage. (Don't ask me how I know this.) :blush But at least it was a standard automotive filter, available anywhere.

So, dear Santa, that's a filter wrench, a service manual CD, and a short winter.

pete

My son has an '07 ST1300, and I've helped out with several oil changes.

Leverage - all about leverage. Once the appropriate filter wrench is slipped over the filter (which tend to 'seize up' after a while, perhaps from heat/pressure), we use a 2 1/2 ft. long aluminum pipe with one end flattened by a hammer. That way it slips over the socket wrench and the additional length now gives you the strength of three men, and it will turn.

Good Luck. :wave

at my work (helicopters) we use a product called "dc-4" can't remember who makes it, (dc-dow corning!!) but I can check during my next work day. anyway, it is way better than oil on oil filter gaskets.

Back