• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Odd Trip 2 behavior

drneo66

So I'm lucky to have both a 07 R1200Rt and a 13 F800GS and obviously I'm doing something wrong. They both have the "Trip 2" function in the trip computer as well as having the average mpg, average speed, etc. trip computer functions.

Now "Trip 1" works great on both - I generally reset this when I fill up with fuel. "Trip 2" is all over the place, seemingly resetting randomly at odd intervals. Originally I thought it was tied to when I reset the average speed or mpg, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I thought maybe I was accidentally resetting both "Trip 1" and "Trip 2" when I was intending to reset "Trip 1" only, but "Trip 2" will reset itself at other random times that I know I haven't pressed any buttons. I thought maybe the button was super sensative, but I don't ever see the computer move between odo/trip1/trip2. Both manuals don't mention anything special either? Are both my bike possessed?

Weird.

If it was only one bike, your theory about being possessed would be worth considering. But two bikes pretty much rules it out, imo. :thumb

Mine is a ‘13 F700GS. Presumably same computer/display as your F800GS. I will try fiddling with Trip 2 tomorrow and see if I have similar results. (Having recently purchased this bike, I haven’t used Trip 2 yet.)

On my F700GS the TRIP 1 and TRIP 2 counters only count up to 999 and then rollover to 0.

Would this explain what you see?

/Guenther

Turns out I had reset my Trip 2 along with the Trip 1 when I filled the tank. So right now they are in perfect agreement. I’ll keep an eye on it and report any anomalies.

Guenther’s theory seems plausible if you are riding a lot.

Trip Meters

later model BMW now have three trip meters. Trip1 for normal tracking and resetting, rolls over at 999. Trip2 does the exact same. it just allow you to track 2 different things, like gas stops or daily routes, total trip miles etc. Trip3 on the other hand is an Auto trip counter. It resets automatically 2 hours after you turn off the ignition. Then when you start up again it starts counting from 0 once more. The idea here being if you did not reset anything or you forgot at the end of a ride or day, you will at least know what you did since the ast longer stop, like overnight, etc.

maybe your specific bike has trip1 (see above) and the Auto trip as trip2?

Back