• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Not a tire thread, really

Mirider

Jerry Emhoff
So I'm going to Alaska in July and I'm trying to decide what to do about tires. I estimate that the trip will about 9500 miles round trip and the tires currently on my 96rt are Michelin road pilot 4s and they have about 2000 miles on them. My first thought was to replace them with new Road pilots just before I go and try to make it round trip on the new ones and when I return put the old ones back on. Now I worry that the new tires won't last that long as I've heard the chip sealed roads eat the tires up and I know 9500 is pushing the limits on those tires anyway. So should I just leave the old tires on and plan on replacing them maybe in Fairbanks? Google says its about 4000 miles which would put me at around 6000 on those or I could go to Anchorage and replace them. If I go with replacing them in AK then should I call and reserve tires and a time to have them done at a shop or buy them before hand and have them shipped to a shop. On Advrider I've read pluses and minuses on both ways. I welcome your advice, thank you, Jerry

I lived in Fairbanks for many years and have traveled between the states and Alaska a dozen or so times. I am very skeptical of your chances of making the trip on one set of tires. Worst case is your tires give out in a place where getting tires is time consuming and expensive. I once waited three days to get a cheap tire for $400 in Prince George, BC. I recommend you arrange to have tires waiting for you in Fairbanks or Anchorage. Shipping them up will not save you money and carrying them is a bad idea in my opinion. All motorcycle shops in Alaska are very busy in the summer. Priority often goes to people with trip ending problems and normal services and tire changes go to the end of the line unless a reservation is made. Adventure Cycle Works will open 24/7 to change tires and that is all Dan normally does.

In Fairbanks the two places I recommend you contact to arrange for tires are: Adventure Cycle Works (www.advcycleworks.com/) and Trails End BMW (bmwmotorcyclesalaska.com/)

In Anchorage: Alaska Leather, don't be mislead by the name: (https://alaskaleather.com/) and The Motorcycle Store (https://www.themotorcycleshop.com/)

I lived in Fairbanks for many years and have traveled between the states and Alaska a dozen or so times. I am very skeptical of your chances of making the trip on one set of tires. Worst case is your tires give out in a place where getting tires is time consuming and expensive. I once waited three days to get a cheap tire for $400 in Prince George, BC. I recommend you arrange to have tires waiting for you in Fairbanks or Anchorage. Shipping them up will not save you money and carrying them is a bad idea in my opinion. All motorcycle shops in Alaska are very busy in the summer. Priority often goes to people with trip ending problems and normal services and tire changes go to the end of the line unless a reservation is made. Adventure Cycle Works will open 24/7 to change tires and that is all Dan normally does.

In Fairbanks the two places I recommend you contact to arrange for tires are: Adventure Cycle Works (www.advcycleworks.com/) and Trails End BMW (bmwmotorcyclesalaska.com/)

In Anchorage: Alaska Leather, don't be mislead by the name: (https://alaskaleather.com/) and The Motorcycle Store (https://www.themotorcycleshop.com/)

Great advice Kevin. In the worse case senerieo one could have a blowout that might end the ability to ride.

E.

I suspect if you call one of the places mentioned in Alaska, order and pay for the tire you want, let them know ahead of time when you will be there to get them mounted, they will serve you promptly.

Thanks Kevin, that’s kind of what I was thinking. Alaska leather and Dan’s were the two place I was thinking about calling. I know tire trouble in the middle of nowhere is something I don’t need.

We had a nail in Voni's tire just before entering Canada on the way to Hyder. We backtracked a bit and got a new tire installed at Omak, Washington by a multi-brand motorsports shop. They lacked the fixture needed to properly balance the tire but did the best they could. Loaded with camping gear and riding 55 to 60 Voni did not notice a balance issue. But after we unloaded the bikes and set up camp and headed into Prince George for dinner on a 110 kph divided highway she noticed the thump thump of an out of balance rear tire. We tried five different shops in Prince George to get the tire/wheel balanced and finally had to resort to Dino Beads at the HD shop as a last resort that sorta worked for a while. I would certainly plan on using your tires to get there and new tires to get home. I endorse Alaska Leather as a go-to place for tires and sheepskin seat pads. Barb and Victor are great people!

I started out last summer for Anchorage with 3,000 miles on a set of Pilot Road 4's thinking I would get a set somewhere in the lower 48 on my way home. Ended up getting a set in Anchorage. There a lot of miles between Anchorage and the lower 48 to cover if a tire starts to show wear on the way home.

Fairbanks

I just had a set of tires shipped to Trails End BMW (Mitas E07 Plus). They E-mailed me to let me know they had arrived and would hold them for me. They do charge $10 per tire to hold them since I did not buy from them.

I made this trip last summer. For us it was 9100 miles round trip.

We left with fresh tires and swapped rears in Anchorage. The front tires made the round trip with some life left.

While the rear tires we took off had some tread left on them at the time, I am confident they would not have made it home.

We used Alaska Leather in Anchorage. Nice people, but we were underwhelmed with the install. They don’t do it at the store. They have a guy who has the tire changer at his house so you have to coordinate with him and his work schedule. He will want to use dynabeads to balance your tire, we asked for conventional weights. Neither of us were thrilled with the job he did, seemed like he just stuck a random (and large) amount of weight on a spot somewhere near the light spot on wheel.

Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Tim

Back