• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Noisy valves - Oooops

glwestcott

Did my 72000 mile service last weekend and after all was said and done I had a really noisy right cylinder on my R1100 RT. I had done the throttle synch and she seemed to be running relatively smooth, but really noisy and seemed to not have as much power as it should. This evening I took her apart again and Oooops. Seemed I did the left cylinder correctly with the intake valves at 15 mm and the exhaust at 30, but when I had walked around the bike, I guess I got turned around and reversed them on the other side. :doh Anyway, with both sides properly adjusted and a new synch job, she's much quiter and peppier again.

I do have a question for the tech savvy guru types here. Is there a trick on the fast synch. I have a throttlemeister so setting the throttle at a steady 2500 or so rpm's is easy and I can loosen the locknut and tweak the throttle adjust screw to get my twinmax perfectly centered, then even though I hold the set screw with a pair of needlenose pliers while I retighten the locknut, after tightening the synch is off to one side. I finally got it after much swearing by setting it off center to the other side on the twinmax a bit and then tightening the locknut. Tightening the locknut seemed to bring it back into center. Is this typical, or am I doing something else wrong?

By the way, I did come up with a really handy device to drain the transmission oil. I cut out a piece of plastic from a plant pot that garden plant had come in and trimmed it to about 8 inches long by three or so inches wide and put a v cut in one end. It could then be partially rolled and slipped back up the tunnel and the oil drained quite cleanly out and down the v cut into my oil pan. The plastic is tough enough to clean after and store in the toolbox for more uses.

Drifting slightly as the locknut is tightened is merely taking up the slop in the threads in the adjuster. The adjuster is pulled downward by the cable tension and is resting against the bottom of the female thread section. When the locknut is tightened it pulls the adjuster upward and jams the adjuster threads against the top of the female thread section. Compensating the way you have been doing it is the only good way to make up for the slight slop in the threads.

I have always tightened up the locknut about 75%, then used pliars to trun the adjuster that necessary little bit to get it right. Then complete the locknut tightening.

Works every time for me.

Jim :brow

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I guess I wasn't that far off on what I was doing. Wondered about it though. Great thing about this forum where you can get help so easily. Ain't the internet grand!

Back