• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Transmission K1200LT 2001

W

wkane4

I have a 2001 LT that I love. But since I bought her last year she has drank up the money.
I just had it at the dealer because she does not accellerate through 4th gear without slipping. I had that Clutch replaced last year.
He tells me that I need a new transmission. Would anyone know were to pick up a new one for less then 3500 that bmw want!
Help a fellow rider out

Dear LT Rider,

You will get more and better responses if you put the bike year/model in the thread title. That tends to attract people who may be able to help you.

I'll add it this time for you. Please consider doing it yourself in the future..

Thanks!

PS: Call Beemerboneyard (www.beemerboneyard.com) - and see if they have a used one. It will be a small fraction of the price for a BMW sourced one.

Is the geqrbox slipping out of gear, or is the clutch slipping? Did your dealer replace any seals in the gearbox when they replaced the clutch? Was the slave cylinder leaking-or is it now?

You should do some investigating before you start buying expensive parts.

+1 on what lostboy said. Gear boxes typically don't slip.

Does it do the same in 5th gear? Try doing a test where you roll on the throttle in 5th gear around 30 - 35 MPH and see if it pulls smoothly and evenly to 60-70 MPH. This will help identify if it is just fourth gear going bad in the tranny or if the clutch is slipping which will eventually affect all the gears. If dealer put in a new clutch and it is failing again, it should be their responsibility to repair agian.

good luck

Roy

That transmission (essentially the same as the R1150 one) is definitely not known for skipping like the previous one was. I bet you can get any decent BMW mechanic to repair that, rather than replace it. I'm guessing you'd need two gears replaced, possibly a fork, very unlikely a drum, and you'd be good to go. Definitely under $1000, especially if used parts were available.

If the problem really lies with 4th gear, he'll need the intermediate shaft, won't he? That's $1184.68!

K Trans

On the face of it the problem you describe in not a "Transmission issue". Is your Rear main seal OK? -oil on clutch disc?
That being said...

I found a low mile rebuilt transmission + drive shaft on EBay for $400. delivered.

With the older bikes...you can get "upside down" pretty quick at the dealer. I am not a preffessional wrench, but my pals all encouraged me to go for it. The trans +DS + clutch was not that bad a job. Just take your time.
I replaced the clutch disc while I was there. I was looking at $1500. for a first class repair job but the bike '91 K100RS would not justify the expense. I's been about 7K since the major surjury. Bike will roll over 100K this month. With all new cables, tires and a Wilbers... it feels pretty good.
At some point you have to decide how much you like the bike.

Your K12LT ..that could be a painful decision.

Good Luck!

Before you dump a couple grand on this dealer I would insist on a proper diagnosis of the problem first. Does the slipping happen in 5th or 6th gear also? If so, I would focus on the clutch. 4th gear only might point to a trans problem. Does it slip in 4th or does 4th gear jump out into 3rd or 5th? Does it make awful noises? A correct diagnosis is difficult via the web but quite easy when you have the bike in front of you or test ride it. As previous posters said, trannies can be repaired.

Of course, a dealer would rather sell you a new tranny than repair or rebuild, especially if he does not have a tech that is skilled and experienced in tearing apart and reassembling transmissions. I bet he would be even happier to sell you a new motorcycle and solve your problem that way. Also, is the clutch job still under warranty? Lots of questions.

In other words: See a different dealer, an independent shop or an experienced club member to help you figure out what the exact nature of the problem is and how to resolve it in the most economical fashion. If you tell us what area you live in, we might even have a recommendation.

Back