• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Member need advice

chankel

Trying to buy my first K1200lt this week. I have been talking to two bike owners and now i need advice. One bike is 2000 with nearly 60000 miles but looks like it has been maintained extremely well by older rider, has ohlin shocks front and rear, replaced with upgraded final drive, in excellent condition for 3200
The other is 2000 with 20000 miles in excellent shape but no work to final drive or suspension with about 20000 miles. The lower milage one is 3700 . What would you do? PS I live about 500 miles from each so I am buying on faith and hope to ride one home.

What do you expect to dowith either LT? That is, how often, what sort of riding (close to home, long distance), and where do you plan to ride?

While 20000 miles seems more attractive than 60000 miles, properly cared for, 60000 miles doesn't make the bike totally out of the question. What catches my attention is the Öhlins. They're excellent shocks (better than stock) and that suggests the owner may have generally taken detailed care of his bike. Which isn't to say the owner with 20000 miles hasn't taken equally good care. But the shocks are a distinct point in the bike's favor. Also, strangely, 20000 miles is 17 years suggests the bike sat a lot, and that isn't the best thing to do. Rubber parts start to dry out and crack, fluids may or may not have picked up contaminants, and the engine may have suffered from inactivity.

It's a difficult choice, but, sight unseen, I favor the 60000 bike. However, as always, ride your own ride. We're just sitting on the side, happily spending your money for you and dispensing advice worth exactly what you paid for it. :)

What do you expect to dowith either LT? That is, how often, what sort of riding (close to home, long distance), and where do you plan to ride?

While 20000 miles seems more attractive than 60000 miles, properly cared for, 60000 miles doesn't make the bike totally out of the question. What catches my attention is the Öhlins. They're excellent shocks (better than stock) and that suggests the owner may have generally taken detailed care of his bike. Which isn't to say the owner with 20000 miles hasn't taken equally good care. But the shocks are a distinct point in the bike's favor. Also, strangely, 20000 miles is 17 years suggests the bike sat a lot, and that isn't the best thing to do. Rubber parts start to dry out and crack, fluids may or may not have picked up contaminants, and the engine may have suffered from inactivity.

It's a difficult choice, but, sight unseen, I favor the 60000 bike. However, as always, ride your own ride. We're just sitting on the side, happily spending your money for you and dispensing advice worth exactly what you paid for it. :)
Thanks, that is what I am thinking.

Back