• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Member from West Alabama

dshaw123

Hello all, I recently started riding a good bit again. I'm not much of a "joiner", but figured it was time to finally sign up after haunting the forums for many years.

I've ridden for about 40 years, off and on. I fell in love with BMW's the day I saw an R90S in Cycle magazine in my elementary school library, circa 1976. I was in the Army in West Germany about 10 years after that and bought a hand-me-down barracks bike, a '72 or '73 R60/5 I called "Der schwarze Müllhaufen". The odometer had rolled over who knows how many times and it was held together with a lot of duct tape, but I once rode it more than 1200 km across what was then East Germany to Berlin and back just for fun. Sold it to another soldier the day before I shipped out- it's probably still going.

Back in the States I rode mostly Kawasakis til marriage and children intervened. I bought a '97 R1100R "Das grüne Ungeheuer" in 2007 and rode it for many years. Sold it recently and bought my well-maintained '94 R1100RS "Der rote Baron" that I'm on now.

Anyway, thanks for letting me join the club. Keep the rubber side down.

David Shaw

20220122_134841.jpg

Welcome to the MOA's web space, David.

Why have U landed in western AL; must be a family thing... We relocated from the north to HSV to be near a growing military base, and have discovered many new m/c contacts - particularly in the NAVMC [on FB]... Check out our AlaBeemer website to see if we're hosting any rides or events in your neighborhood. We do have many members spread all across the southeast, but with C-19 it's been hard to get them to attend a club gathering. We celebrated the club's founding in 1971 last October at the Lake Guntersville Lodge - U missed the yummy free buffet dinner.

MOA turns 50 this year; do not miss the big Rally in Springfield, MO 16-19 June... :nod

https://www.bmwmoal.org

https://forums.bmwmoal.org/forum/rides-and-events/happenings/3257-

Happy Trails on your RS - Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —-&-— USAF-Ret’d

'09 650GS-twin — '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

email: president@bmwmoal.org

Thanks Phil! I was a member of the BMWMOAL back about 15 years ago (dtshaw), but haven't kept up my membership. I probably need to re-up now, if they're still active.

I was born and raised in Tuscaloosa, and work in a little town 35 miles away (Eutaw).

So back at'cha, David:

Later in '22, I want to host a Ride-2-Eat down toward the Tuscaloosa neighborhood (not in Football season). These days, you just don't know how many folks will turn up for an event. I've been pondering the Dreamland BBQ since it is considered a Historical Treasure by the Bar-B-Que faithful! Can U recommend a R-2-E restaurant that could accommodate {maybe} a dozen folks and would be considered "a Gastronomical Destination?"

Ciao! Phil & Karen in front of the Grande Poobah's garage in HSV (posing for the CoddiWomple '21 - Five in a row.),
B630425B-71AF-446B-AAA1-31106CE7E82E.jpg

Phil, the original Dreamland is certainly a good place, and an interesting atmosphere for the carnivores! Limited menu though. I'm also a big fan of Avenue Pub in downtown Tuscaloosa.

I'm also a big fan of Avenue Pub in downtown Tuscaloosa.

Appreciate the sage advice, Dave. I will make the effort to visit both establishments before publishing a club R-2-E in 2022. Next Second Saturday R-2-E is headed to Big Bob Gibson BBQ on 6th Ave in Decatur [but I must go ride my planned ride beforehand first]. :nod :eat

Welcome

Welcome from Illinois
FC1C0812-15BE-4023-8F90-2413E761DFD3.jpeg

I don’t have a Red R1100RS

Suggestion for HSV Phil
The Catfish Hotel Shiloh Tennessee area
It’s 337 miles from my house but worth the trip

Suggestion for HSV Phil
The Catfish Hotel Shiloh Tennessee area.

Otay, Buttwheat! The Catfish hideout will be taken into consideration for future MOAL eXcursions.
The MOAL had a club meeting at Pickwick Landing State Park just last May. T'was a decent location to gather.
On our '21 CoddiWomple sojourn, Team-HSV made a visit to the aforementioned Battlefield. :thumb

Shiloh_May-21.jpg

Back