• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOTORREADS: 2 March 2009

mika

Still Wondering
482778364_PU6qr-XL.jpg

dealernews.com: Buell annual homecoming set for June 5-7

cmgonline.comÔÇÿCruiser RexÔÇÖ joins the bestiary

sm_090227-3wheelers.jpg

hellforleathermagazine.com: Details ÔÇô Husaberg 70˚ cylinder engine

What does it mean to be a dealer in an electric bike age?
bellforleathermagazine.com: Best Buy to sell $12,000 Brammo Enertia electric motorcycle

londbikers.com: Moto Morinin Scrambler ÔÇô new for 2009-03-01

BMW continues to help its riders! In this case it is to avoid the tax man in Europe.
moto22.com: BMW Boxer with 98hp to avoid tax

motorcycle.com: 2010 Honda Fury review ÔÇô A chopper from Honda?

Victory MC is heading to Norway in 2010.
mc24.noTranslated: Victory soon ready for Norway

caferacersreturn.blogspot.com: Liquid Chrome ÔÇô Chica custom motorcycles

chica_japan4.jpg

superbike.co.uk: Suzuki GSX-R 1000 K9 launch test ride report ÔÇô It may look the same but it really isnÔÇÖt.

thevintagent.blogspot.com: Les Harris

visordown.com: Benelli Due 756 ÔÇô Naked parallel twin spotted in final testing
Benelli_Due_756.jpg

webbikeworld.com: Motorcycle sales statistics

Jonesing for a motorcycle show? Try the netherlands
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sHkAi-gjCBM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sHkAi-gjCBM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_JHr_QWj_38&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_JHr_QWj_38&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BENCHRACING:

motorcycle-usa.com: Indianapolis Supercross results

autobloggreen.com: Zero Motorcycles to host 24 Hours of Electricross

supermotos1.com: FIM SuperMoto World Championship S1/S2 calendar updates

motorcycle-usa.com: KTM takes first at Mexican Enduro

WEC

AMA Pro Racingx

motorsport.com: AMA-SBK Series entries for season opener announced

MotoGP

KawasakiÔÇÖ 2009 MotoGP season story has moved from MotoGP mystery to comedy and is heading to pure farce.
crash.net: Melandri surprised by Kawasaki announcement.

corrieredellosport.it translated: MotoGP evidence from tomorrow in Qatar

mtorcycledaily.com: Yamaha preparing for new 600cc Moto2 Class?

478487932_g2MBR-XL.jpg

autocar.co.uk: Rolls-Royce extends plant closure

autoweek.com: Geneva motor show ÔÇô pair of Ferrari 599 GTBs revealed

wiredautopia.com: MIT unveils 90mph solar racing car

Bracket Racing takes to the road course? :ha
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-nkPrmXQwQg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-nkPrmXQwQg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Remember I am only an agrigator!
cardesignnews.com: Chris Bangle ÔÇô Hero of modern car design

LibertyAce_resized.jpg

motorauthority.com: Ford reopens Cleveland engine plant for EcoBoost production

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/32WfeE-XJxY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/32WfeE-XJxY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

Cage Racing News

Canadiandriver.com: Motoring Memories ÔÇô When diesels raced at Indy

wheels.ca: Cold hard facts about ice racing

439062079_Uzso4-XL.jpg

TED| Evan Williams on listening to Twitter users
<object width="446" height="326"><param name="movie" value="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="bgColor" value="#ffffff"></param> <param name="flashvars" value="vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/embed/EvanWilliams_2009-embed_high.flv&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/EvanWilliams-2009.embed_thumbnail.jpg&vw=432&vh=240&ap=0&ti=473" /><embed src="http://video.ted.com/assets/player/swf/EmbedPlayer.swf" pluginspace="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" bgColor="#ffffff" width="446" height="326" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="vu=http://video.ted.com/talks/embed/EvanWilliams_2009-embed_high.flv&su=http://images.ted.com/images/ted/tedindex/embed-posters/EvanWilliams-2009.embed_thumbnail.jpg&vw=432&vh=240&ap=0&ti=473"></embed></object>

voltaicsystems.com: Solar Bag, solar charger

We all are carrying more things that need to be recharged, from iPods to laptops or net devices, as we ride. Voltaic has four solutions to the charging problem and provides space to carry the stuff at the same time.

Voltaic bags use fabrics made from recycled PET i.e. soda bottles. Voltaic claims their recycled PET fabric is light weight, extremely durable, UV resistant and water resistant. It even looks better than the nylon it replaced. The fabric is rated at 600D. I do not know how this will stack up against the ballistic type materials we have become accustomed to in tank or tail bags but the rating bodes well.

Tank bags are a dime a dozen. What make these bags interesting are not the bag materials but the solar charger. The cell phone and handheld people have promised an industry standard power jack giving us a single charger system for all these devices in the near future. Until that happens and we replace our devices adaptors remain the tool of the day. Voltaic bags include standard adaptors for common cell phones and other handheld devices. For the laptop crowd the bag there is a generator which includes common laptop adaptors. Even without an adaptor, you can charge most devices with a standard car charger or USB charger.

The backpack is the featured bag on the Voltaic site and is the one that caught my eye. I often use a backpack now when commuting. My main concern in replacing it with VoltaicÔÇÖs is I often carry a Camelback in it. My current bag is designed specifically for that purpose and I have never had water problems that were caused by the bag or the Camelback. (Problems caused by the idiot wearing the bag are a different story.) Voltaic claims the solar panels are water proof so that fear may be taken care of. It does not go entirely away because of the battery pack feature that benefits the normal use but may still raise concerns.

The battery pack feature is part of all bag models which stores any surplus power generated, so it is available when you need it. The battery packs can also be charged using the included AC travel charger or your bike plug in with the appropriate BMW adaptor. This increases the bags usefulness on cloudy days and around the campfire at night. I would hope water issues were addressed in the design of this feature but the site makes no claims and I have not seen one in person.

The bag style range includes a converter bag, backpack and two and two candidates for tail mounting. Prices range from $199 to $499.

nytimes.com: Preparing cities for electric cars

<script src="http://nmp.newsgator.com/NGBuzz/buzz.ashx?buzzId=81524&apiToken=E138700B37294DFBA31F8D381F0BDC47&trkP=&trkM=1EE7D72C-FFAF-F80B-7991-6E32E1044168" type="text/javascript"></script>

WOOT.com

Knjmoto.com:

Motobastards.com : Motel Hot Tubs

2009-02-26-Motel%20Tubs.jpg

xkcd.com:

westleys_a_dick.png

Bike Candy

482857165_dqSQd-L.jpg

482857210_CMbTc-L.jpg

482857126_GZpCD-L.jpg

From Ottonero.com

Comments:

223719402_NGkad-XL.jpg

From BMW PressClub Germany translated by Google

BMW Motorrad Motorsport. Major goals for the off-season, the 2009th

Munich. In three weeks for the fall Offroad Team BMW Motorrad Motorsport at the start of a highlights and challenges filled sports season. The first round of the Enduro World Championship (WEC) 2009, at 21-22. March in Penafiel in the Portuguese team is waiting, hoping you, in the classes E2 and E3 the front landing.
The team structure and the tasks for the drivers are fixed. Three new factory rider David Knight (UK, E3), Juha Salminen (FIN, E2) and Marko Tarkkala (FIN, E3), reinforcing the team and together with Simo Kirssi (FIN, E2) for the WEC title to go hunting. The stated goal is at least one of the two classes of the world title.

These four Offroad professionals are primarily used in the WEC, but also go to national off-road series at the start. Sun Brite Knight is also in the British Enduro Championship of the top favorite, where he is already strong competition against the first victory has retracted. The Finn, however, wants Kirssi next top places in the WEC and the European and German Cross Country Championship title defense, while Juha Salminen complete Spanish Enduro Championship contests.

In addition to this quartet starts Anders Eriksson for BMW Motorrad Motorsport in the Swedish and the German Enduro Championship and selected streams of the WEC, while the Belgians as Jeff Goblet factory rider in Belgium and France, the BMW colors high. For Extreme enduro Stakes are Latvians Andreas Bichler and Gerhard Forster ready.

The BMW G 450 X, which are already in the past year has proven, in many details have been further improved. Much work has been integrated into the chassis and motor coordination inserted. For the season 2009, they also
new plant design. Both of entrepreneurial drive, as well as technical side is a success of the team nothing in the way.

Juha Salminen - Enduro 2:

"Of course it is my goal to be world champion this year - as every year. With David, Marko and Simo BMW has a very strong team. I know that all already on the launch of the WEC happy. I personally hope that in Class
Enduro 2 more riders for the title fight will be just as Johnny and me. We'll see. I am almost ten years since the first time with another motorcycle at. I hope that the championship is even more interesting. In recent months, the entire BMW team worked hard to improve the motorcycle to and from each machine the best out of them. There will be a long and hard championship, but I am huge on it. "

Simo Kirssi - Enduro 2:

"When you consider that last year my first season in the WEC was, I'm really pleased how it went. I have at every race learned a lot, and now after the tests and training in the winter, I am much
more confident than at the same time last year. Of course, the podium at the World Cup race in Poland 2008 will be the highlight for me. This year the competition in the class E2 again very hard, but I nevertheless hope
frequently on the podium stand. I am in the Enduro sport is now much better and therefore have hope that 2009 will be a great season. "

David Knight - enduro 3:

"My situation is somewhat different than for most drivers, because the last two years have not started in the WEC am. What makes this season very special for me, is also the fact that I do with BMW, a new chapter in my career start. I know that there are so many good riders in the Enduro class 3 is a tough year
, but I feel well prepared, I'm satisfied and left. I am really back in Europe to drive. All countries that attended WEC this year, have a long tradition Enduro. Therefore, it should also be a great season. The race in Mexico is still the whole spice. My goal is the title in the E3 class. I know that with the help of the BMW team is possible. "

Marko Tarkkala - Enduro 3:

I look forward to the starting gun for Enduro World Championship this year. It is certainly helpful that I experienced with such riders like Juha and David in a team run. The matter will certainly be interesting this year because in addition to the
Most riders from last year and now David and Ivan Cervantes start. It is very fast many people at the start. My goal is to drive as evenly as possible. I am particularly pleased at the course in Finland. It's been a few years ago when the last time we went here, and that was my best so far WEC results. I enjoy it, a part of the BMW team and look forward to a good season. "

Berti Hauser, head of BMW Motorrad Motorsport:

"According to our overall success Lernsaison 2008, we doubt much of this year made the show so clearly the driver's occupation. The vehicle itself, with its development since
End of 2008 season has so far both our newbies as well as the current pilots in the team can convince. Various personal and fine tuning adjustments, we have been in extensive testing is done well. Both
the team as well of course I expect a tough competition, in which we are setting ourselves the strong enemies have, and these in turn are of course everything we oppose. The foundations for a successful season
2009 are laid - now our boys have only rotate properly on gas. "

Hollis And Husqvarna Set For Title Defence
Australian Off-Road Champion (AORC), Husqvarna's Chris Hollis is ready to defend his title in this weekend's opening rounds of the Australian Off-Road Championships in Port Macquarie - March 7th & 8th.
After several months of physical training and bike development, Hollis has utilised lead up time to the Championship to get comfortable with his new Husqvarna TE 450.
Having placed second & third outright to Yamaha's Jarrod Bewley and Kawasaki's Toby Price at the opening rounds of the NSW Sprint Series, Hollis is quietly comfortable with final preparation and is ready to come out firing at Round one of the AORC in is home town of Port Macquarie.
"I've been focused on fitness training and motocross to get my speed up on the TE during the off-season, but the last few weeks have been all about dialing the suspension for off-road.
Rounds 1 & 2 of the NSW Sprint were our final test for suspension set-up and I'm content with the progress we've made over the 2 days.
Now, I just can't wait to get started in the Nationals and do battle with the boys." Hollis former team mate Jarrod Bewley, is the underdog of the AORC and hungry for the title.
Having come out strong and winning the opening rounds of the NSW Sprint Series, Bewley has made a strong statement, posing the question that he could be Hollis biggest threat this year.
However, the most anticipated rival to challenge Husqvarna's Off-Road Champ is four-time World Enduro Champion Stefan Merriman.
Merriman is now based in Port Stephens, NSW after nearly ten years of professional racing in the World Enduro Championships.
Already showing cunning race strategy, Merriman recently contested and dominated the opening rounds of the New Zealand Enduro Championships as a means to speed up his conditioning for racing Down Under.
With the support of his hometown crowd, Husqvarna Australia's Chris Hollis will no doubt elevate his race craft this weekend in defending his title.
From Honda's AJ Roberts and Peter Boyle, Yamaha's Stefan Merriman and Jarrod Bewley, KTM's Ben Grabham to the dark horse motocross convert of Kawasaki's Toby Price, the battle for this year's AORC title will be the toughest yet.
The entire team of Husqvarna Racing Australia would like to wish Chris Hollis all the success in defending his Australian Championship.
Gates at the Hastings Valley Motorcycle Raceway (170 Pacific Highway, Port Macquarie) will open at 8.30am Saturday (March 7) and Sunday (March 8). Admission is $6.00 Adult & $2.00 Child.

FEDERAL MOTOR TRANSPORT AUTHORITY CONFIRMS BMW GROUP'S LEADING ROLE IN THE REDUCTION OF FUEL CONSUMPTION

02/27/2009

Munich/Flensburg. By far the most efficient premium-class vehicles on the German automobile market are built by BMW and MINI. The official calculation of fleet consumption carried out by the Federal Motor Transport Authority is certified confirmation of this exceptional position held by BMW Group brands. Current statistics calculated by the Flensburg-based authority show that BMW and MINI brand vehicles newly registered in Germany during 2008 have an average fuel consumption of 5.9 litres/100 km and average emission levels of 158 grams per km. Both levels lie well below the average of all newly registered vehicles manufactured in Germany, which is at 165 grams.

The brand BMW reduces fuel consumption by 16% within two years.
At brand level, too, BMW does better than its main competitors in the premium segment by significantly more than half a litre of fuel consumption with an average level of 160 g CO2/km. The vehicles of the next best competitor have a CO2 emissions level of 16 grams more than the models of the brand BMW, with the next competitor after this at a level which is as much as 28 g higher than the brand BMW - equal to a whole litre of diesel. Between 2006 and 2008, the brand BMW achieved a reduction in fuel consumption of 16%, more than doubling the reduction attained by the next best premium segment competitor. At the same, BMW vehicles are still well ahead of their competitors in terms of average engine output - clear evidence of the success of BMW EfficientDynamics.

482854936_aNydq-M.jpg

The positive situation of the BMW Group is complemented by the brand MINI, which attained a reduction of CO2 emission levels of 206% between 2006 and 2008, with an average level of 139 g/km.

"This success is impressive affirmation of our ability for innovation and sustainability," explained Dr. Klaus Draeger, head of development at BMW. "With the employed measures as well as a multitude of further technologies about to be launched, the BMW Group is excellently prepared for the challenges of the future. Draeger: "With EfficientDynamics we will comply with with the future EU C02-Targets for new cars. The payment of fines is not an option for us."
BMW and MINI fuel consumption and CO2 emissions considerably better than those achieved by the average German automobile.

Federal Motor Transport Authority statistics show not only a significant superiority of BMW EfficientDynamics compared with similar measures implemented by other premium vehicle manufacturers, but also the BMW Group's outstanding position within the overall market. On statistic average a BMW or a MINI brand vehicle burns significantly less fuel than the average new car produced in Germany. Moreover, with regard to fleet consumption determined by the FMTA, the BMW Group also beats Europe's largest high-volume manufacturer, taking it to level peg with a number of car builders whose product portfolio includes a considerably higher percentage of small cars.
The BMW Group has also attained comparable results in other European automotive markets. In the UK, the brand BMW has successfully reduced the CO2 emissions of its models to a level averaging 158 grams per kilometre. The BMW Group has also clearly improved on the respective levels of other premium car builders in these countries.

Fleet consumption reduced by more than 25 percent:
BMW Group exceeds ACEA requirements.
Consequently, also at an EU level BMW and MINI achieve fuel consumption and emission levels below the overall average of all European car manufacturers. Between 1995 and the end of 2008 the BMW Group cut fuel consumption of its vehicles sold in Europe by more than 25 percent, even exceeding the respective requirements for their brands stipulated by the ACEA commitment (ACEA = Association of European Automobile Manufacturers).
Consequently, the BMW Group is better prepared than other car builders for the even more stringent regulations planned for 2012 and 2015 respectively, these resulting from the fact that not all manufacturers have been able to achieve the aspired reduction in fuel consumption. Therefore, as far as the BMW Group is concerned, the payment of penalties as compensation for excessive CO2 levels is not under discussion.

MINI at the 79th International Geneva Motor Show 2009.

The range of models presented by the MINI brand at the 79th International Geneva Motor Show is once again more diverse and appealing than ever before. Indeed, MINI is again setting the standard for superior driving pleasure and, at the same time, greater efficiency with a broad choice of new models, no less than three world debuts underlining this claim at the 2009 Geneva Motor Show.

482854537_6bZSG-M.jpg

The new MINI John Cooper Works Convertible combines extreme performance with the wish to enjoy that driving experience so typical of MINI as often as possible with the roof down. Apart from the 155 kW/211 hp four-cylinder power unit with its twin-scroll turbocharger and direct fuel injection, this outstanding model comes with numerous further features and components carried over directly from motorsport.

At the Geneva Motor Show held from 5-15 March 2009, MINI is furthermore presenting two new entry-level models offering a particularly economical rendition of individual style, the agility so typical of the brand, and premium quality: The MINI One Clubman comes with all the benefits of its innovative space concept now combined with an outstandingly economical 1.4-litre four-cylinder petrol engine delivering maximum output of 70 kW/95 hp. And introducing the MINI One 55 kW, the brand is also making a clear claim to leadership in sportiness and efficiency in yet another performance class.

Offering the right qualities for today's world, MINI, following record sales last year, remains on a successful path also in 2009 - all the more so as the undaunted popularity of the brand is based on a wide range of features no other manufacturer is able to offer in such an exceptional combination. The agile handling of the MINI is indeed just as unique as the car's efficiency, with the MINI's unmistakable design and wide range of customisation options ensuring an outstanding motoring experience, premium quality and uncompromising safety for ongoing enjoyment on the road superior to the competition.

More than ever before, MINI stands out in 2009 as a manufacturer of truly unique cars offering a perfect symbiosis of outstanding fuel efficiency and emission management, on the one hand, with superior performance, on the other.

Following the market launch of the new MINI Convertible, all models in the range now come with the latest generation of gasoline and diesel engines. A further highlight is the consistent introduction of efficiency-enhancing technologies such as Brake Energy Regeneration, Auto Start Stop and a gearshift point indicator featured as standard on all model variants. Thanks to these progressive technologies, MINI from now on offers no less than eight models with CO2 emissions in the EU test cycle of less than 140 grams per kilometre.

Successfully integrating the John Cooper Works brand within the MINI family and introducing the MINI John Cooper Works Clubman with equal success into the market, MINI has significantly enhanced and upgraded its sporting profile. Outstanding success in racing culminating in three overall victories in the Monte Carlo Rally between 1964 and 1967 has indeed created an inseparable link between the name John Cooper and the motorsport myth of MINI, a tradition now continuing in the development and production of exceptionally sporting and dynamic models meeting both the requirements of motorsport and the many demands of everyday traffic.

The MINI John Cooper Works Convertible is now entering the market as the third top-flight athlete created through this fascinating symbiosis. Also powered by the 155 kW/211 hp four-cylinder originally developed for the model currently raced in the MINI CHALLENGE, the MINI John Cooper Works Convertible accelerates to 100 km/h in just 6.9 seconds and has a top speed of 235 km/h. Performance of this kind clearly demonstrates a driving experience quite unique in the MINI segment, an experience combined not only with the incomparable pleasure of driving in the open air, but also with remarkable all-round efficiency, the MINI John Cooper Works Convertible consuming an average of just 7.1 litres/100 kilometres (equal to 39.8 mpg imp) in the EU test cycle and limiting CO2 emissions to 169 grams per kilometre.

MINI stands for record achievements in terms of efficiency not only in this highest range of performance, but also in all other performance and power classes. This is clearly borne out, for example, by the 70 kW/95 hp MINI One Clubman with its average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle of 5.4 litres/100 kilometres - equal to 52.3 mpg imp - and a CO2 emission rating of 130 grams per kilometre. The new entry-level model in the Clubman range at the same time proves its agility so typical of MINI through its acceleration to 100 km/h in 11.6 seconds and a top speed of 183 km/h or 113 mpg.

In the gasoline engine segment, the MINI One 55 kW offers not only the lowest fuel consumption and best emission ratings, but also the fastest and most dynamic acceleration. Average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle is a mere 5.3 litres/100 km or 53.3 mpg imp, CO2 emissions are 128 grams per kilometre, and acceleration to 100 km/h from a standstill comes in 13.2 seconds.

After this further extension of the model range, MINI is now able to fulfil individual customer wishes even more precisely and appropriately than before. The MINI now comes with a choice of four gasoline engines and one diesel power unit, with the MINI Clubman featuring three gasoline options and one diesel, and the MINI Convertible offering a choice of two gasoline engines. Added to these models there are of course also the three top-flight athletes proudly bearing the logo of John Cooper Works.

A wide range of paintwork options, interior colours, materials and trim options, as well as special equipment and accessories, also enables even the most discerning customer to put together his or her very own MINI according to his individual, personal taste, creating an absolutely unique, one-off model in the process.

A humorous twist on the "Princes Bride"...
Saw some great racing yesterday; both World Superbike (fantastic duel in the first race between Haga and Neukirchner, and Ben Spies victory on his first day of racing in the second) and AMA Supercross (Bubba crashes twice and still finishes second).
Dave Despain brought up an impressive statistic; percentage of races that James "Bubba" Stewart wins if he does not crash: 100%.
I got to see him race in the Vegas finale in '06. The whole time, I was thinking to myself that Bubba's wide open style reminded me of Bob "Hurricane" Hanna.

Back