• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motor dying after hard ride

B

b707142

Any of you F800ST riders have engine idle problems after hard ride?:dunno

F800ST Engine dying in Hot Weather

Yes, I have had that happen a couple of times. Mostly it seems to be related to hot weather and hard riding. The last time was coming through Yakima, WA with air temps in the upper 90's and having just ridden about 50 or 60 miles at 70 - 75 mph. As I came to a stop for the first time the engine died. It has happened before and since my bike is getting its annual physical in a couple of weeks I am having BMW look into it.

I have the same problem. It started on the way to the rallies and appeared sporadically during the next 2 weeks, mostly, as you say, in hot weather and after a ride.

I had the software update last year and it fixed it. I have had the hose kinks fixed as well. This is new and similar to the old cut-out problem, but different. I will be looking into the archives on the F800 site for possible solutions but as I just got home from 3 weeks on the road, other things need my attention first.

idle problem

Yes, I have had that happen a couple of times. Mostly it seems to be related to hot weather and hard riding. The last time was coming through Yakima, WA with air temps in the upper 90's and having just ridden about 50 or 60 miles at 70 - 75 mph. As I came to a stop for the first time the engine died. It has happened before and since my bike is getting its annual physical in a couple of weeks I am having BMW look into it.

I will take up with the guys when I have time to drive the 1 and 1/2 hour to nearest dealer. They should have sent me a recall. I almost lost the bike one time. When you let out the clutch to restart the rear tire breaks traction (high compression engine ):deal

I will take up with the guys when I have time to drive the 1 and 1/2 hour to nearest dealer. They should have sent me a recall. I almost lost the bike one time. When you let out the clutch to restart the rear tire breaks traction (high compression engine ):deal

You might want to, "Up shift before letting out the clutch!" That said, I sorry to hear about your near miss. I hope the dealer can address this problem to your satisfaction.

Len

After Annual maintenance

Yesterday I had my F800ST in for its annual maintenance and I mentioned the dying problem to them. Under warranty they found that a fuel line was improperly routed near the air-box. This was a known problem with the earlier F800's, and they believe was the cause of the "Motor dying after hard ride" problem. You might take your bike into a dealer and have this checked.

Coyotebmw, do you mean one or both of the hoses at #4? Part of a "service bulletin", I believe.

2090864160100360492S600x600Q85.jpg

Status on Fix to fuel lines for this problem

Just returned from a 911 mile trip to Canada this past weekend. This included time spent in North Central Washington in Temps of 106 to 108 degrees at highway speeds. It appears the fix from BMW worked as I had no problems with the engine dying after riding in these conditions like I had earlier. :clap

Very nice, coyotebmw, how's about some pics? Me, heading with a group of BMW riders, to BMW Motorrad Mexico, 10/10-10/20.

Back