• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Modular Helmet Evaluation

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
This video provides a great deal of information. There are some subjective methods of weighting the scoring system that many will not agree with, but a good source of info to reach your own conclusions. Another option for getting info on helmets is: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk

The Sharp tests for Nolan modular helmets gave me good peace of mind when I decided to go that route. No failures of the latching mechanism on the chin guard is a good thing.

With our current supply issues, maybe they ought to add a new judging category: IS THE HELMET ACTUALLY AVAILABLE AT DEALERS?

I made the right choice buying the Shoei Neotec 2 I see...:clap

They also didn't mention head shape. Though Shuberth and Shoei were close in score they FEEL like two totally different helmets-to me- the Shoei fits ME much better. Twas my previous modular and will be my next- as I'm coming up on 6 seasons with it.

I made the right choice buying the Shoei Neotec 2 I see...:clap

I'm a Shoei fan, but the Neotec 2 did not do so great on the Sharp test to see if the face guard will remain fully locked during an impact. It failed 30% of the time. Here is the rating of all the modulars they have tested: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?manufacturer=All&model=All&type=3. You will see that there are several other brands that did much better than the Neotec 2 on that particular test.

I'm a Shoei fan, but the Neotec 2 did not do so great on the Sharp test to see if the face guard will remain fully locked during an impact. It failed 30% of the time. Here is the rating of all the modulars they have tested: https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?manufacturer=All&model=All&type=3. You will see that there are several other brands that did much better than the Neotec 2 on that particular test.

Four year ago I bought a Schuberth C4. I looked at the Shoei but the Schuberth had the best fit for me.
Shortly after buying the Schuberth I saw the Sharp tests and was glad I went with Schuberth.
I'm surprised we don't hear more about the poor face guard test results on the Shoei Neotec 2.
The Neotec has been out a long time and I bet we see a Neotec 3 in 2022 with a face guard that does better in the Sharp test.

Four year ago I bought a Schuberth C4. I looked at the Shoei but the Schuberth had the best fit for me.
Shortly after buying the Schuberth I saw the Sharp tests and was glad I went with Schuberth.
I'm surprised we don't hear more about the poor face guard test results on the Shoei Neotec 2.
The Neotec has been out a long time and I bet we see a Neotec 3 in 2022 with a face guard that does better in the Sharp test.

After looking at the Sharp results I put Nolan high on my consideration list. Scored 100% on the face guard test and okay overall, and is less expensive than most. However, the Nolan didn't do so well on the comparison. What's a lad to do? I've had three Shoei helmets over the years and liked them all. I had a Schuberth C3 and overtime it became less and less comfortable.

After looking at the Sharp results I put Nolan high on my consideration list. Scored 100% on the face guard test and okay overall, and is less expensive than most. However, the Nolan didn't do so well on the comparison. What's a lad to do? I've had three Shoei helmets over the years and liked them all. I had a Schuberth C3 and overtime it became less and less comfortable.

It's difficult to know if a helmet is a good fit until you live with it awhile. I had a Shoei in the 90s and thought it was a good fit when new but on long days I found it hurt my forehead. It was too round for my head shape.
I always had a red spot on my forehead after wearing the helmet. I tried several things to compress the liner in the forehead area with no luck.
I should have got rid of it the first year but I gave good money for that helmet so I lived with it :)

Not the best picture but you can kind of see the red mark on my forehead.
1995 Texas_0024 - Copy.jpg

We have the Schuberth C4 which is a good fit but the C4 Pro does not fit very well for either one of us.
In a year or two we'll look at the C5 and Neotec 3, if there is a 3.

We liked our Nolan N-104 helmets so much after 6 years we bought their N100-5 series. There were a few improvements and we love them. In that review they scored near the bottom but remember that is the top 10 and many differences were just slight. They are not the best at anything except staying closed which is the most important. They tick off all the other boxes well enough to be a very comfortable all day modular at a great price point.

With our current supply issues, maybe they ought to add a new judging category: IS THE HELMET ACTUALLY AVAILABLE AT DEALERS?

I could not find the Nolan N100-5 Yellow in a large anywhere in the US until mid January and then at pretty high prices. I did find a small for my wife though at a very nice price through Amazon. I opted to get my large from Chromeburners in NL and received excellent service, quick shipping and a great price. FedEx delivery was hassle free with no import duties or any other fees.

Of course it is only ECE rated with no DOT sticker. You must decide how you feel about that before shopping overseas for helmets. It can be considered illegal in some states also.

There is some good info here on the subject:

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/helmet-safety-ratings-101

I also confirmed from Nolan that the helmets are manufactured differently for the ECE/DOT specs but they didn’t give any details.

Last edited:

So the other 70% of the time it works... I'm the glass is half full kind of person... :D
Merry Christmas !!:wave

I can't find a modular without the internal sun visor. The shape to accommodate the visor makes it tight at my forehead. Any recommendations? I currently have a Shoei Multitech.

I can't find a modular without the internal sun visor. The shape to accommodate the visor makes it tight at my forehead. Any recommendations? I currently have a Shoei Multitech.

Klim TK1200. Comes with a transitional face shield: no internal sun visor. Carbon fiber construction. Competitively priced.

Have been using Nolan for some time. Recently upgraded and having break in issues on same size as usual,guessing my head has swollen :lol the temple and forehead are painful after an hour. Most other models were not this tight.

I have had two head scraping events and the chinguard held its own.
Mine came from a non US locale and didn't search for certification stickers as its never been questioned since about '74 by a bored Houston PD officer who measured my reflective stickers for compliance just looking for anything to write a young guy a ticket and asked who painted the helmet and removed stickers... Not worried about having one now...Ill play the old guy card now :laugh

Back