• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Michigan State Police test R1200RT-P and two Harleys

bmwdean

BMW MOA co-founder
Last September, the Michigan State Police tested a 2007 BMW R1200RT-P against a Harley FLHTP and a Harley FLHP. All have ABS. The results are very interesting. Below is a table from the report comparing acceleration and top speeds of the three motorcycles.

Brake testing stopping from 60 MPH:
* BMW R1200RT-P -- 136.5 feet
* Harley FLHP -- 158.6 feet
* Harley FLHTP -- 157.0 feet

Lean Angles:
* BMW R1200RT-P -- 46 deg. right or left
* Harleys (both) -- 30 deg. left / 32 deg. right

Read more if you wish (PDF file):
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/VehicleEvaluation2007_MSP-Motorcycles_182665_7.pdf

If you were a motor officer, which motorcycle would you prefer?

Attachments

• acceleration-table.jpg
    acceleration-table.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 164
Accelleration is only one factor. There are a couple others that can be even more important.

Turning rates and braking as well as stability in high and low speed can outweigh absolute accelleration. Ease of operation can also be more important. At speed the Officer HAS to keep their head up and on a swivel. If the bike requires attention to operate it takes away from something called SA or situational awareness.

The first rule and most overiding concern of the Motor is this, surviving to go home. Catching the suspect is secondary since you can't cite or arrest when you are dead.

The bike has to be a secondary concern in it's operation, more of an extension than a vehicle.

Don't focus in on one trait. The ability to do several things well is one of the reasons Kawasaki had so many LEO contracts. They did several things well and would simply out turn a beemer on even a bad day even today.

I like my RT quite a bit but if I were to go back to municipal enforcement riding the KAW KZ1000P would be first choice and the RT a distant second. ABS is nice but not necessary and linked brakes not necessary at all for a trained rider.

Highway riding is a different situation and high speed is more important. Even so pursuit is not a bikes responsibility, cars are better suited for it.

Accelleration is only one factor. There are a couple others that can be even more important.

Turning rates and braking as well as stability in high and low speed can outweigh absolute accelleration. Ease of operation can also be more important. At speed the Officer HAS to keep their head up and on a swivel. If the bike requires attention to operate it takes away from something called SA or situational awareness.

The first rule and most overiding concern of the Motor is this, surviving to go home. Catching the suspect is secondary since you can't cite or arrest when you are dead.

The bike has to be a secondary concern in it's operation, more of an extension than a vehicle.

Don't focus in on one trait. The ability to do several things well is one of the reasons Kawasaki had so many LEO contracts. They did several things well and would simply out turn a beemer on even a bad day even today.

I like my RT quite a bit but if I were to go back to municipal enforcement riding the KAW KZ1000P would be first choice and the RT a distant second. ABS is nice but not necessary and linked brakes not necessary at all for a trained rider.

Highway riding is a different situation and high speed is more important. Even so pursuit is not a bikes responsibility, cars are better suited for it.

Indeed. I think the LASD's test is a bit more comprehensive, although Jeff's original thread post may be an excerpt. I found the LASD's test an interesting read, worth the time.

I talked to a guy who said that a BMW shop went to a City PD dept. with a report about "Down time".
He had information about Motors revenue, $1000. - $1,500 per day for each bike. Then he had reports from agencies listing the Down time by brand of bike.
BMW,s made up for any price difference with the lack of Down time.
The bean counters buy the bikes.

Back