• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Metzeler Z8 Tire Codes - 2008 R1200RT

waxrash

On the last tire change I went from Metzeler Z6 to Z8.
According to my service documents from the dealer, they put on tires with code "C" on the rear. No code on Front.
I will look at the actual tires tonight when I get home.

Shopping around for tires, a well know retailer, told me I should be running code "M" on the front and "O" on the rear.
He said:
ÔÇ£The ÔÇ£OÔÇØ has a bi-compound mixture. The rubber compound in the central section of the tread area, depending on the tire size, is on average 45 mm wide, with a 70% silica content specifically designed for higher mileage and stability at high speeds. The tire shoulders comprise of approximately 88 mm on each side of the profile and have a 100% silica compound, which increases dramatically the chemical grip in the wet and reduces sliding under all conditions.ÔÇØ

I can't find any reference for M, O or even C code tires anywhere.

Can anyone offer constructive technical input on this?

I believe the O spec replaces the C spec. O spec is reiforced side wall for two up heavy laden sport touring M spec standard side wall O&M spec are dual compound. C spec does not have dual compound. I hope I am right in my research because I just installed the O spec today but have not road on it yet.

Back